Announcing Technical Working Groups

Hello everyone,

We at the DFINITY Foundation have been working to provide greater visibility into our roadmap and more opportunities for the community to provide feedback on DFINITY’s contributions to the Internet Computer through forum threads, AMAs, community conversations, and 1:1 working sessions with developer teams. The next evolution of this work and something we have been very excited to get off the ground for some time now is the idea of technical working groups. Over the past few weeks, we have been discussing potential structures and topics for these groups both internally and with several members of the community. We would like to share the proposed path forward here.

Some guidelines on how we are thinking about these working groups:

  • The goal of these working groups is to define shared objectives and priorities between the Foundation and the IC community. Each working group will identify initiatives that translate into a shared roadmap, where the Foundation can actively collaborate with community members on shared roadmap items.
  • Working groups should focus on frameworks, standards, infrastructure, and public goods and not the commercial interests of anyone dapp, platform, or specific vertical (as many of the proposed technical topics cut across many verticals).
  • Each working group will have a DFINITY lead, a community lead, and a coordinator.
  • Forum threads will be created for each working group, similar to how DFINITY’s roadmap items are discussed today.
  • Meetings will be hosted on Zoom, and all meeting notes will be made publicly available afterward in the respective forum threads.
  • Proposed cadence will be monthly.
  • Coordinating across all time zones will be tricky, so we will try out the below proposed time slots for now and adjust as needed.

Find public calendar for these and all future meetings here

and browser calendar link

List of topics:

[Update April 2024]
Topic: Inter-canister Event Utility
Lead: @skilesare
Community Coordinator: @ilialor
Discord: inter-canister-events
Meeting Notes: Link
Cadence: Weekly on Wednesday at 7:00pm CET
First meeting: April 4, 2024 at 7:00pm CET
Forum: Technical Working Group: Inter-canister Event Utility Working Group

[Update February 2024]
Topic: DeFi
Lead: @infu
Cadence: Every Tuesday, 3 pm UTC
First meeting: February 6th, 2024
Location: ICP Dev Discord Voice Channel
Discord: DeFi Channel
Forum: Technical Working Group DeAI
Github: GitHub - Neutrinomic/wg_defi

[Update December 2023]
Topic: Decentralized AI (DeAI)
Lead: @patnorris
Cadence: Every Thursday, 5 pm UTC
Location: ICP Dev Discord Voice Channel
First meeting: November 23rd, 2023
Discord: DeAI
Forum: Technical Working Group DeAI

[Update July 2023]
Topic: BTC on ICP
Lead: @bob11
Coordinator: @domwoe
Cadence: Monthly on the first Thursday of every month at 3 pm UTC
First meeting: August 3rd, 2023
Discord: BTC on ICP
Forum: Technical Working Group: BTC on ICP
Meeting Notes: Google Docs

[Update July 2023]
Topic: Naming System
DFINITY lead: @Kepler
Coordinator: @domwoe
Cadence: Monthly on the last Thursday of every month at 10 am CET
First meeting: July 27th, 2023
Discord: Discord
Forum: Technical Working Group: Naming System

Topic: ICRC Catch-all (pending issues and sorting)
DFINITY lead: @benji
Coordinator: TBD
Forum: post
Cadence: Bi-weekly Wednesdays at 6 pm CEST (GMT+2)
First meeting: May 23rd, 2023

Topic: Identity & Auth
DFINITY lead: @frederikrothenberger
Coordinator: @marydwyer
Link to Forum: Technical Working Group: Identity & Authentication
Cadence: Monthly on the first Tuesday of every month at 5 pm CET
First meeting: April 5, 2022, at 5:00 pm CET

Topic: Developer Tooling
DFINITY lead: @dfx-json
Coordinator: @domwoe
Discord: Developer Tooling
Forum: Main Thread with updates
Cadence: Monthly on the first Thursday of every month at 7 pm CET
First meeting: April 7, 2022, at 7:00 pm CET

Topic: Ledger & Tokenization
DFINITY lead: @dieter.sommer
Coordinator: @benji
Discord: Ledger & Tokenization Channel
Forum: Main thread with updates
GitHub: GitHub - dfinity/ICRC-1: A fungible token standard developed by the Ledger & Tokenization working group for the IC.
Slides and Recordings: Link to Google Drive
Cadence: Bi-weekly on Tuesday at 6:00 PM CET
First meeting: April 12, 2022, at 5:00 pm CET

[Update Mar 2023]
Topic: NFT (subgroup of Ledger & Tokenization)
DFINITY lead: @benji
Coordinator: @dieter.sommer
Main thread: forum
Github: ICRC-7
Cadence: Bi-weekly on 2nd and 4th Tuesdays at 17:00 CET
First meeting: Tue 29nd Nov 2022

[Update July 2022 ]
Topic: Scalability & Performance
DFINITY lead: @abk
Coordinator: @domwoe
Discord: Scalability
Forum: Main thread with updates
Cadence: Monthly on the third Thursday of every month at 5:30 pm CET
First meeting: July 21, 2022, at 5:30pm CET

[Update June 2023]
Topic: Motoko
DFINITY lead: @dfx-json
Coordinator: @icme
Forum post
Meeting cadence: 2nd Thursday of each month, 8am US Pacific.

Find public calendar for these and all future meetings here

and browser calendar link

Archived Working Groups:

Topic: Blockchain Integrations
DFINITY lead: @Dieter Sommer
Coordinator: @Dieter Sommer
Discord: Ethereum integration
First meeting: March 22, 2023 on Zoom

[Archived November 2023]
Topic: Education
Leadership: @Seb
*Coordinator: @cryptoschindler *
Discord: Education
First meeting: November 17 2022
Last meeting: December 2023

[Archived 2023]
Topic: Governance
Leadership: @bjoernek, @brutoshi , @lastmjs
Coordinator: @emmaperetti
Link to Forum: Technical Working Group: Governance
Discord: Governance
First meeting: September 29
Github Repo

118 Likes

Thanks for setting this up, having a developer events calendar we can subscribe to is sweet!!!

I see there isn’t an infrastructure topic - is this covered under developer tooling/scalability (i.e. potential overlap)?

Also, some of these are pretty straight forward (i.e. canister metrics & reporting, network governance, etc.), but others have some more overlap (i.e. identity & auth, security & audits, privacy), so it would be great if each of these topics could include a brief 1 sentence/paragraph scope of what types of questions/topics are appropriate for each meeting.

43 Likes

Yes, we imagine there will be some overlap here and there, but it will really be up to the working groups to define scope, agenda, etc. once up-and-running. There will also likely be a separate monthly meeting just for leads where some of these overlapping topics (or gaps) can be identified.

36 Likes

Oh no, the dreaded 5pm CET… :face_with_spiral_eyes:

Really exciting stuff. +1 to a future Scalability working group.

BTW, the @dfx-json handle is really clever.

23 Likes

That’s what I am thinking about a lot recently, why are you so late to do this so :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile:? :joy: :joy: :joy: Anyway, very exciting to see this and hope we could see the detailed roadmap soon, then we maybe able to see what 250+ team members are doing everyday so that while the same time the community member is possible to provide feedback?

20 Likes

Topic: Identity & Authentication will be discussed here: Working Group: Identity & Authentication
Looking forward to see you in today’s group session!

27 Likes

Hey everyone, Thank you for attending the session today. The next session about developer tooling is Thursday 7pm please leave any questions in this thread

16 Likes

Will the recordings end up on youtube?

13 Likes

Topic: Ledger & Tokenization
I am one of the initiators of CBD (Canister Builder DAO) and standardization is the main matter of CBD.
First of all, Fungible Token and Non-fungible Token are very different things and each deserves to be discussed separately, so I suggest that the official Working Group should create different Topics to discuss them separately.

17 Likes

Hi Witter, I’m leading the Ledger & Tokenization working group. I agree with you that we should discuss Fungible and Non-Fungible Token Standards separately. During the working group today I explained that we will do so and we will start with Fungible Tokens.

18 Likes

Hi everyone, I’m happy to announce that we have decided to reduce the time between Ledger & Tokenization working group meeting from 1 month to 2 weeks to speed up the discussion around token standards. The next meeting will be the 26th of April. More info in the separate forum thread.

24 Likes

In addition to the working groups already rolling out, I would like to propose prioritizing the planned working group for Network Governance. I believe a dedicated forum could help focus and synthesize discussions taking place around spam proposals and related matters.

19 Likes

This would also be helpful for developing out the SNS. 2^u!

12 Likes

hey…relax it’s the weekend…take it easy…what ever fuck up ( or maybe not) you think you made is already done. Just take your Girlfriend or Boyfriend out for a drink, get a massage get some sleep or something. stop watching CMC. you are not going to influence anybody in this forum. Smart people hang around here!!

13 Likes

team, find Internet Computer Event calendar below.
* Google calendar link
* Public / browser calendar link

13 Likes

Hey guys, Next Ledger & Tokenization technical working group meeting is tomorrow 10 may 5 pm CET. The calendar event can be found here. Zoom link is here . Please update your calendars.

14 Likes

Guys, why are we doing this tomorrow and announcing with one day notice? This will not increase participation.

15 Likes

Hey MaxFinity,

You can find all upcoming events in the calendar of the initial post. These are simply reminders

11 Likes