We at the DFINITY Foundation have been working to provide greater visibility into our roadmap and more opportunities for the community to provide feedback on DFINITY’s contributions to the Internet Computer through forum threads, AMAs, community conversations, and 1:1 working sessions with developer teams. The next evolution of this work and something we have been very excited to get off the ground for some time now is the idea of technical working groups. Over the past few weeks, we have been discussing potential structures and topics for these groups both internally and with several members of the community. We would like to share the proposed path forward here.
Some guidelines on how we are thinking about these working groups:
- The goal of these working groups is to define shared objectives and priorities between the Foundation and the IC community. Each working group will identify initiatives that translate into a shared roadmap, where the Foundation can actively collaborate with community members on shared roadmap items.
- Working groups should focus on frameworks, standards, infrastructure, and public goods and not the commercial interests of any one dapp, platform, or specific vertical (as many of the proposed technical topics cut across many verticals).
- Each working group will have a DFINITY lead, a community lead, and a coordinator.
- Forum threads will be created for each working group, similar to how DFINITY’s roadmap items are discussed today.
- Meetings will be hosted on Zoom, and all meeting notes will be made publicly available afterwards in the respective forum threads.
- Proposed cadence will be monthly.
- Coordinating across all time zones will be tricky, so we will try out the below proposed time slots for now and adjust as needed.
The current plan is to roll out three working groups to start as a “pilot.” We will learn and gather feedback before launching additional topics, and iterate on any of the above guidelines as needed. From there, an NNS proposal can be put forth describing the overall framework, similar to this great example from the ENS community.
The first three topics that will be rolled out include:
Public calendar for these and all future meetings here.
public calendar browser link (no google account required)
These topics were specifically selected as groups are already starting to form on these topics, or the topics are especially timely (e.g. defining ledger interfaces). So as not to delay getting started, we will launch the first three working groups with a DFINITY lead and a coordinator, and shortly after the working group is up-and-running, the groups can hold elections for a community lead.
Future topic ideas that have also been discussed:
- Canister Metrics & Reporting
- Security & Audits
- Internet Protocols & Networking
- Network Governance
- Network Tokenomics
If you are interested in nominating yourself early as a community lead or a coordinator, or if you have ideas for additional topics for future working groups, please fill out this short survey.
We are so excited to kick these off and are very open to your feedback and suggestions. We hope to see you at some (or all!) of these working groups in the coming weeks.