Monthly Global R&D Meeting

Hello everyone,

We at the DFINITY Foundation have been working to provide greater visibility into R&D and more opportunities for the community to provide feedback and learn how to contribute.

Update July 2023: Starting now, all Global R&D sessions can be accessed and enjoyed at this link: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLuhDt1vhGcrdKiAYaVbTJGbqwmqSEBx4p

This decision comes after observing a gradual decline in live streaming views over the past 12 months. It appears that our audience prefers the convenience of watching recorded sessions at their own pace.

Additionally, we have taken into account the feedback from our viewers, and we recognize that the user experience during live streaming and webinars wasn’t always ideal. With the new approach of providing edited recordings, which include chapters, making it much easier for users to navigate directly to the specific sessions they are interested in.

We look forward to sharing exciting and insightful content with you on our YouTube channel.

36 Likes

Just to confirm: will the replay be uploaded to YouTube afterwards?

3 Likes

YES replay will be available on YouTube

11 Likes

Awesome! Looking forward to this meeting :100:

5 Likes

Will there be a link to show the R&D detailed roadmap (maybe update weekly?) so that the community could see?

2 Likes

This was a very cool slide:

^ Although I’ve never heard of “subnet rental” or “streaming sup”… what are they?

Also, I was a little surprised at how slow the BTC API calls were. Balance queries took 10 seconds and transfers took 30 seconds. Is this because they were demoing with the BTC testnet, or is that really how long it takes?

4 Likes

We are still planning to give monthly roundups like this one, but with more visibility as we gave today: Update on the IC Roadmap: June 2022 Summary

3 Likes

Yes, I saw the slide too, that’s what I am pointing to. @diegop just like the above slide which is the real roadmap and easy to understand. That would be cool to be able to see this and maybe update maybe weekly.

3 Likes

Yes, we plan to have more or less this slide beautified on the website.

4 Likes

Subnet rental is the idea that one could make a proposal to form a subnet that they could use exclusively to guarantee sufficient resources for one’s dapp. Of course, such a proposal would require submission of sufficient ICP to cover the cost of the such a subnet for a sufficiently long time. Details will follow.

7 Likes

I saw an example from point network: https://roadmap.pointnetwork.io/ maybe you could share the roadmap with the community like this?

1 Like

team, next public Global R&D will happen on August 31, 8:30 AM PT / 5:30 PM CET. Come and sign up here

2 Likes

Team, next Global R&D Meeting will happen on September 28, 2022, 8:30 AM PT / 5:30 PM CET. Sign up here: Live Sessions | Internet Computer Home

looking forward to see you all there

1 Like

Is there any chance that we could do more of these? Perhaps at different times? I do not mean to be rude, I just have been trying to attend one of these, and it always lands in the middle of my work/ class day :confused:

Completely understand if it is a set session though. Please don’t change it for one person (me).

Are there plans to create more interactive sessions like these? Or perhaps plans in the future to have community meet-ups in person for live events? I really like this idea. I know with COVID it can be tough. Just please keep the idea open to consideration at the very least!

Thanks again,

1 Like

Global R&D is a set timeslot, so it won’t change anytime soon. But the recordings are available on the DFINITY Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLuhDt1vhGcrdKiAYaVbTJGbqwmqSEBx4p

3 Likes

That’s okay. It was worth a shot! You never know unless you ask. I do appreciate the official DFINITY youtube channel link at the very least.

1 Like

Fwiw I can share we also want this: We are still re-creating our live event /community muscles since we have not really used it much in last 2 years, but we want to see more of these too. We intend to get better at this.

3 Likes

That’s exciting at the very least. I’m here for a long time… I can wait a bit longer. I’m just glad this is on the “menu”. When we get to it, I think it will be fun.

1 Like