Now that Staking is fixed, can someone please help in adding more ICP to my neuron ID?

There is an important difference between staking with higher amounts of ICP in a single neuron vs splitting ICP into multiple neurons. Even though the growth rate is the same (assuming dissolve delay and neuron age are equal), the time it takes to reach the threshold required to spawn a new neuron and release the ICP voting rewards is different. From what I understand, you don’t reach the threshold maturity necessary to spawn a new neuron until you accumulate 1 ICP of voting rewards (which is the minimum ICP necessary to create a new neuron).

3 Likes

I raised my support ticket as requested by @hpeebles… I will let you know how it goes and if my balance gets refreshed:)

Thank you. I was just about to reply and ask you to give us an update when it is complete. Also, thank you for raising this specific question in the dfininty forum.

1 Like

Why does this need manual action from the support to display?

Account balances are held in the ledger canister whereas the details of each neuron are held in the governance canister. To update a neuron’s balance you need to send tokens to its account in the ledger and then also notify the governance canister that the neuron’s balance has been updated.

Until the governance canister is notified of the updated balance your rewards will be given out based on your original balance. This notification cannot be done via the NNS app yet so for now you need to send your principal + the neuron address to support and they can notify the governance canister of the updated balance.

4 Likes

Thank you for your explanation!
But we can still notify by calling with dfx from the command line using notify_dfx, right?

1 Like

Yes you can use dfx too! I’ll build the dfx command. I could do with an example to test it with though.

If someone has sent tokens to an existing neuron and has their principal + the neuron address to hand I can test my command to make sure it works.

It won’t be using ‘notify_dfx’ by the way.

There is a new method on the governance canister called ‘claim_or_refresh_neuron_from_account’ which should be used for this.

2 Likes

This sounds interesting. I have no programming experience, but wouldn’t mind learning more about these types of details. Would you be willing/able to share? I don’t have a sense of whether this is a big ask or an easy ask, so my apologies if its too big of an ask. I don’t even know what it means to use dfx commands.

1 Like

How long do you expect the implementation to take until the ICP gets updated automatic when adding to a Neuron? thanks!

Just to be clear - toping up a neuron will have an impact on its maturity.

C.J

Awesome thank you I am doing this close to my original stake on the 20th so minimal impact now. But great info for future staking! Maybe better to create a new neuron.

I have created and locked the new one. Not sure on the difference and/or impact of multiple neurons vs. topping up the existing one.

Would be great if someone gives a run down or points to the source of information.

C.J

I am yet to lock my original neuron. I am going to wait for the balance to refresh then I will lock.

I sent you a message to help with a refresh of my neuron.
Thanks

no difference apart from hitting the maturity threshhold to spawn a new neuron earlier. apparently your rewards need to be > 1 ICP to spawn a new neuron.

1 Like

I tried to use dfx to create one canister, but always failed and the fee of creation don’t refunded.
As below:

Is that my problem about erorr ‘No subnets in which to create a canister’?
Is it normal about the fee don’t refunded?

1 Like

Currently subnets are still being added so not everyone can deploy on mainnet right now. There is a small penalty of ICP being burned for the deploy call, probably to prevent flooding the network.

1 Like

ok, i see. Thank a lot

@wpb As below are transations about one neuron I created.

Is it address of the neuron in red line?
and then I send 0.1 ICP to that address, but the number of staked ICP in neuron don’t increase.
How to submit a support ticket to fix this?

https://support.dfinity.org/hc/en-us/requests/new

The Response is slow not sure what’s going on, I raised a ticket 24hrs ago not a single word back yet.

1 Like