Visibility and urgency into node provider pipeline

I often check the node count in different dashboards and am starting to get paranoid by the slow growth of this. Who knows, maybe it is just the beginning of exponential growth, but there is no visibility into this. I do believe in the described vision of IC and would also like to be a node provider, but I am waiting in the silence with my node provider request.

I have been in a queue for more than a month and have no communication. I have a partnering green-energy data center, would add the Baltics&Scandinavia to the network, and am interested in this for the long-term. But what’s the hold-up? Is building the actual server the bottleneck or something else? Would like at least visibility into the queue and timeline.

Until I see with my own personal eyes an IC node that is participating in the network I can’t be sure of the quality of the network. I would like to be a node provider and would add to the decentralization but why is there such a delay and no visibility into this?

We cannot claim to be anything serious with 200 machines. A usual global TradTech company would have more than 10k machine fleet in the cloud. I know because I work in such a company. We/ICP couldn’t even survive an NFT launch.

Thank you.

4 Likes

Hi @integral_wizard, do you have any updates to your node-provider application?

D you know any node provider? It would be nice to talk to someone that is already experience the dynamics concerning IC node operation/maintenance.

Do you have any info about the operation requirements (i.e. link speed, uptime, rewards, node-operation time demand, available tools for remote interact with nodes / node-stats, … ) ?

Best regards!

Apart form the hardware requirements (available here: Node-Requirement-Hardware) Do you have any info about the operation requirements (i.e. link speed, uptime, rewards, node-operation time demand, available tools for remote interact with nodes / node-stats, … ) ?

I found an estimate for the core-node cost, to be ~20k, but consulting with Dell, it seems this configuration costs way more (~35-40k) .

Also, this post here talks about how the node-rewards are calculated. It seems to depend on the Capital cost (estimated to be ~20k), but it seems that the Capital cost is 2x what is mentioned there.

I could only find very sparse information about the subject. It would be great to talk to node-operators, and go into details.

Do you have any resources/links about all that?

Thank you!

1 Like

Nope. No progress from my point of view. Maybe my application got lost or smth. Don’t know any node providers and don’t have any information outside the public docs you referenced.

Agreed, I think there should be more transparency into the node provider application pipeline and what’s delaying it. (We are currently at 360 nodes, which is a far cry from the “millions of nodes” in a “couple of years” that Dom wrote about in his 20-year plan.)

1 Like