Set up cycles and canisters

I have set my identity and transferred ICP from coinbase to the nns app, that’s alright.

From there, what should I do to be able to deploy an app (assets + wasm) to the IC:

• Should I create two canisters and add cycles in nss?
  • Or should I link the local canisters ids, instead of creating these, in nss?
  • Once the above steps performed, what commands should be use to add the wallet to my local project so that I can deploy?
  • My local principal id is not the one displayed in nss, that’s expected right (if I get the doc on that point)?

Totally noob questions but I am kind of lost. I would appreciate any help.

1 Like

Better to create your wallet in DFX and then send ICP there

2 Likes

Right now this post details my recommended “first canister” deployment approach, and doesn’t involve the cycles wallet

2 Likes

That was what I looking for :+1:

If I may, I got both assets and wasm in my canister_ids.json

{
  "assets": {
    "local": "rrkah-...."
  },
  "counter": {
    "local": "ryjl3-..."
  }
}

I guess I should then create two canisters in nns and add both ic afterwards right? something like

{
    "local": "rrkah-....",
    "ic": "...." // <--------- canister 1 from nns
  },
    "local": "ryjl3-...",
    "ic": "...." // <--------- canister 2 from nns
  }
}

right?

Yep, that should do it

1 Like

Thanks! I faced another error because I was trying to edit the canister_ids.json in .dfx/..., the one created locally, and got a 404 Not Found when I tried to deploy to the network. I finally figured out I had to create a canister_ids.json at the root of the project which look like:

{
    "ic": "...." // <--------- canister 1 for static assets, my www, id from nns 
  },
    "ic": "...." // <--------- canister 2 for wasm, id from nns
  }
}

The deployment is running, let see if it goes through :crossed_fingers:.

Thanks for the support :pray:.

1 Like