Seed Round Access

Btw, it works indeed under the default identity :+1:

Also, I believe you can run this script on a computer where you did not import the private key / seed. But I did not check.
If anyone tries that please let us know. So to run it in a way where access to the wallet keys is not possible. (dfx SDK must still be installed of course)

It seems to be possible, as I removed the seed / private key file / identity.

Btw, the 1st neuron appears as dissolved in your output, thought it only happens after you actually claim it?

Might want to add a retry to the neuron info query:

The replica returned an HTTP Error: Http Error: status 504 Gateway Timeout, content type "text/html", content: <html>

Well, it has a different status code than the rest of the neurons, I only based it on my observation, since I cannot fully dissolve any other neurons yet to confirm that’s what it means, and I didn’t find documentation. It’s possible that the 1st neuron comes pre-dissolved, but I don’t know.

Yeah, true. I didn’t get a timeout, but yeah for sure. Did this error stop the script or did it keep going to the next neuron?

It keeps going normally including creating the output file.

On another hand, I indeed have some weird things going with my dissolve times:
|Dissolve delay: 0 seconds|
|Dissolve delay: 58 days, 9 hours, 44 minutes, 38 seconds|
|Dissolve delay: 73 days, 2 hours, 53 minutes, 5 seconds|
|Dissolve delay: 118 days, 1 hours, 32 minutes, 3 seconds|

The guide says:
the other dissolve delays may have a small random number of days either added or removed.

Is a random amount of days for a whole month really possible?

As far as me and a friend were able to see, it seems the delays are randomized. My 2nd neuron also has a delay of about 50 days. Or the data from the API is wrong, but the conversion to days is not wrong. To be honest I feel they might have made it a +/- random number and then possibly had problems that the 2nd neuron had a too small delay, so maybe we all have the 2nd neuron at minimum 30 days. I’ve only seen 50+ days for now. And yeah the “small number of days” seems to mean anywhere up to a few weeks, even a month. Another stupid thing they did for us, to be honest.
My last neuron is also over 4 years, I think even more than yours.

Where did the initial market liquidity come from? KYC wasn’t available until launch, it had errors, and takes 24-48 hours after KYC to be released. Seems fishy. Either some folks didn’t go thru KYC or had priority access.

I’m currently in the process of taking control of my neurons. I’ve managed to successfully derive a native Internet Computer principal from my Ethereum seed and passed KYC. I’ve also downloaded and installed didc , the Candid compiler, download and extract the NNS canister interfaces, and created an empty dfx.json file in my current directory, however I’m running into an issue when trying to connect to the Internet Computer using the command dfx ping https://ic0.app – I receive an error message Cannot read identity file at ‘/Users/ABC123/.config/dfx/identity/ABC123/identity.pem’: A key was rejected by Ring: InvalidEncoding

Note: ABC123 used to redact personal details

Has anyone else experienced this issue or does know what I’m doing wrong? Any help would really be appreciated!

What only makes sense to me is it would have to be the Team and the VC investors from the private presale round in 2018. And I totally agree with what you’re probably thinking - wasn’t fair and a real dick move from Dfinity. Seeing the price was around $600 at the start, and if a seed investor put in $1000 into the seed round, selling his 2% at $300 instead of $600 is an over $100k loss for him. And that’s just on the 2%. Not that the investment didn’t pay off, but the way the token launch went was seriously unfair to seed investors, and besides that the communication was really bad, almost non-existant - and basically still is.
All that after waiting for 4 years with little to none updates, promised and cancelled token launches, and then finding out 98% of the tokens we’ve been waiting for for 4 years are vested up to 4 more years. It’s kind of unbelievable. I still think the tech is interesting, but on the other hand it hasn’t proved itself yet with any real world use case. Even querying the neurons right now is quite slow, with that speed there is no dream of running websites on this network. It takes several seconds for a read-only operation, on Amazon it’s a few milliseconds. We’ll see.

5 Likes

You may have downloaded a wrong version of DFX SDK
check the command in document

DFX_VERSION=0.7.0-beta.7 sh -ci “$(curl -fsSL https://sdk.dfinity.org/install.sh)”

1 Like

It seems the NNS Governance is paused for some bugs, so we can not disburse ICP now.

https://status.internetcomputer.org/#

Update - NNS remains paused and is being reviewed. Internet Computer resources have identified the issue and are testing solutions.
May 14, 00:08 UTC

Thanks @BeckyLU! Solved that one now. Your help was appreciated. I’m now stuck trying to disperse my neuron with a 0 day dissolve delay, but despite getting emails saying that I’ve passed KYC yesterday when I try to disperse it I get an error stating that the Neuron is not KYC verified… Is anyone else still waiting for this to be removed despite passing KYC?

:partying_face: yesterday got some icp coinz on coinlist,
every 10th of the month some end of year all in my coinlist wallet,the thing is now i want to move those coins to a mainnet icp wallet how to do that???

The NNS Governance is paused for some bugs, so we can not disburse ICP now, need to wait till it resumes.
https://status.internetcomputer.org/#

Update - NNS remains paused and is being reviewed. Internet Computer resources have identified the issue and are testing solutions.
May 14, 00:08 UTC

Yes, I had my KYC verified almost 48 hours ago and get the same message as you do. I wrote on support, where they told me that “it can take up to 2 business days for KYC to take effect”, which doesn’t really make any sense because one seed investor I know was able to disburse his neuron immediately after his KYC was verified. On Dfinity support they told me that a dev will reach out to me, but so far no nothing.

check this

2 Likes

Hi Lefteris,
nice to see you here.
I fully agree with your statement. I have an air-gapped device running PureOS.
Do you have a good advice how to upgrade with the least hassle?
Just upgrading the lib creates more problems/dependencies …
How did you do it?

cc @LefterisJP

My thought on this was that if Dfinity is not providing ability to compile dfx from source (yet), then they should provide precompiled dfx binaries that have been compiled with dependencies bundled in the executable. Something like dfx-<version>-linux-arm64-portable. This way users could also use a Tails session (an in-memory only Linux, optional networking turned off that doesn’t really have any build tools or package manager) for their security. But yeah the ultimate solution is to allow build from source then users can go any route they need.

2 Likes

Hey Christoph! Nice seeing you here too.

So let me tell you. Don’t try to upgrade only glibc in a system. It just does not work. And due to the nature of glibc you can’t just put the .so in a specific directory and have it picked up only by the dfx binary. It just won’t work.

So the real solution is to upgrade the entire airgapped machine. But … that would also mean wiping it. Which would mean migrating all you have there in another machine, making sure backups work … lots of hassle.

What you can do is get a new airgapped machine, install latest ubuntu LTS (and only very very latest – even previous LTS won’t work with the requirements of the dfx binary) and use that.

Or … accept less security and do what I did. Keysmith works fine in my airgapped machine. So I generated the identity.pem file there. I encrypted it with a password and then moved the encrypted file to my networked machine.

There I have scripts which emulate air-gapping. They kill the network (you can also just pull the LAN cable), prompt me to decrypt the identity file, import it in dfx, do the dfx sign command, get the message.json output and then delete the decrypted identify file both from the place where I decrypted it and where it was imported (~/.config/dfx/identity in linux) and finally bring the network back online.

Doesn’t protect from a malware that the networked machine would be already infected with but well it’s a “safe enough” approach for me I guess.

I hope to move to a more secure setup as soon as it’s available.

Plus this key has already been in a networked computer and a chrome extension during the seed sale, so it’s already kind of compromised. Need to switch to a new key as soon as I understand how it all works.

5 Likes