Issue with dfx binary and airgapped/Tails machine

So it appears as though Dfinity is not really supporting hardware wallets so airgapped machines are required if a Dfinity user wants to keep private keys off of Internet.

As a quasi airgap setup I’m trying to use Tails.

The only issue I see with this approach is with the dfx binary. It does not get compiled with its libraries so it throws errors, the first of which is it can’t find glibc

dfx: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libm.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.29' not found (required by dfx)

I haven’t looked too far into this issue of trying to install glibc on a Tails machine because I’m worried this is just the first of many portcullises to drop… who knows how many library dependencies are missing, one after the other?

I know there is a way to compile these binaries such that they include all their necessary libraries in a single portable file. But Dfinity doesn’t allow us to compile dfx from source.

Does anyone know what all dependencies there are to run dfx?

Does anyone have any advice on installing these dependencies into a Tails session?

Can Dfinity provide compilations of dfx that include all the necessary libraries in one portable file?

Dfinity should provide advice for how to get dfx binary running on an airgapped machine.

1 Like

@ililic Can you help here? Can Dfinity provide compilations of dfx that include all the necessary libraries in one portable file so people can easily run dfx in Tails?

1 Like