RE: Requesting SDK/ DFX Command Line Help

Hello all,

I am reaching out with a few questions with the SDK and running DFX on my command line.

I recently, did a full un-install of the sdk and then did a full re-install of the sdk with the updates. I did this when the other option to do a clean uninstall and reinstall command did not work. Now, when I run the prompt

dfx start I get the following response
Running dfx start for version 0.12.1

Using the default definition for the ‘local’ shared network because /Users/REMOVED USER NAME/.config/dfx/networks.json does not exist.

**Dashboard: **

*Please note I removed the user name and replaced it with REMOVED USER NAME that is all that is different than my actual terminal screen.

Then after doing the re-install and getting this message, I was still able to complete and run the “hello world” d-app. However, now when trying to re-open the project and opening it in the browser I am un-able to do so. I do have the Hello project saved to my laptops ssd directly however, when trying to re-launch the same sample app it requires me to delete the project from my ssd completely, remove it from the trash bin, and start over completely. I have to do this every time when trying to re-open the sample dapp

Is there any patient devs willing to help me walk through what is going on?

I am trying to re-open the hello app without the process described above, then I am trying to fix the dfx on my command line so I can move up to the calculator sample project, and I stumped here.

Let me know your thoughts,
Thanks,

1 Like

Hi, maybe the issue in the browser is not related with :
Using the default definition for the ‘local’ shared network because /Users/REMOVED USER NAME/.config/dfx/networks.json does not exist.

I had always got this warning, but my projects worked.

It’s difficult to help if you only say :

“now when trying to re-open the project and opening it in the browser I am un-able to do so”

You should provide more information I think. Is it a blank page ? Did you check the error in browser console ?

One day, I solved a strange problem in browser by opening the project in private navigation.

3 Likes

To debug, could you please:

• run any dfx commands with the option -vv? This will enable much more detailed log output. E.g. dfx start -vv --clean --background
  • As @passio said include a bit more descriptions of what you’re doing and what happens
    • Browser log output
    • Do you let the replica run in-between attempts? And if not, how do you restart it?
    • What the URLs are that you are trying to access
4 Likes