First experiences with Internet Identity and Staking

Hi guys,

I’m fairly new to IC and I see tremendous potential.
I lack the technical skills to help develop the ecosystem but I do work in product management so I thought I’d contribute my own way.

Below are the topics that I struggled with as a newcomer:

NNS and Internet Identity

I saw in a tweet by a random community member that wording should be improved while creating an internet identity, so as to be understandable by the masses. Can’t find the tweet but the actual feedback was “get rid of the jargon please” and I have to say I had the same first impression when signing up for the first time.

“Internet Identity” : ok, that must be some sort of account
“Passkey”: ok, that must be some sort of password

Up to this point I didn’t feel too lost. But when clicking “Create Passkey” opened a prompt to choose a device, that felt frightening. I think there should be more emphasis on why we are being asked to choose a device. Here’s how I would phrase it in simple terms: “Instead of choosing a password yourself, choose one of your devices which will generate a very secure one for you (passkey). But be careful, you’ll need that device to log in again later or add other devices to log in with.”

And for what it’s worth, once you get the hang of it, logging in like this is awesome UX !

Neurons and staking

This is still very obscure to me and I’m sure to other newcomers as well.

Here’s what I’m used to: I choose a staking period which locks my tokens and gives me rewards.

Here’s what I’m presented with:

Stake Neurons

First of all, “Stake Neurons” :thinking: I usually stake tokens, so I was expecting “Stake ICP”. I can understand that staked tokens form a neuron, but… I’m probably overthinking it, I’ll just click the button.

The first step is choosing the amount. Pretty straight forward. Let’s keep going.

Next step is this:

Small UX feedbacks:

• Min and Max buttons are not very obvious
  • I love the granularity (day) but it would be nice to be able to select practicals periods like 6mo, 1yr, 2yrs, etc. as I dont wan’t do calculate how many days there are in 6 months or 4 years.
  • The white bar below the input feels like it could be a slider but there’s none (actually it appears on the screenshot there, so probably a regression?)

My main issue with the above form is: A lot of questions come to mind!

• What does Dissolve Delay mean ? It’s not explained anywhere ! I’m guessing it’s the lock-up period, but there’s also a Skip button: what would that do ? Can I still earn rewards without locking my tokens ?

Other topics that I stumbled upon next that aren’t so intuitive:

• Neuron following
  • This page:

Thankfully I realized afterwards that this page is great as it explains pretty much everything you need to know : I wish I had a direct link from the neuron staking form pointing to this page to help me not feel lost.

That’s it folks. I hope this helps, thanks for reading!

16 Likes

That is a helpful contribution. We only get one first impression each so it would be useful to have more of these.

A BTC investor friend of mine just opened an account for ICP staking and also expressed confusion as to how a “passkey” works.

I have been locked for 8 years since the spring of 2022. I was trying to readjust some things and noticed that I have had all of my neurons set to not restake maturity. Every one of them is still staking the majority of maturity and I can not figure out how to stop it completely. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Amazing feedback, thank you very much for taking the time to write this! If you find other parts of the NNS that are confusing, it is incredibly helpful to write a post similar to this. Moving forward, could you please tag me to make sure that I don’t miss it?

If you want to stop staking new maturity, you can unselect the checkbox where it says “Automatically stake new maturity”. This will stop the new maturity you accrue from being staked. However the maturity you already have staked wiil stay staked until the neuron’s dissolve delay hits 0. I hope this is helpful.

6 Likes

I might have been a little bit red eyed when I wrote that, I appreciate the humor and yes your feedback was right on time. Thank you

This is a recurring themselves for me. Pretty me 90% of the people I have onboard something similar to what you’re posting. Thanks for posting this. Hopefully someone does something about it.

To keep the UI clean, maybe a simple link to an official tutorial would help.

I just stumbled upon this page https://identity.ic0.app/# which is simple yet amazing for managing one’s passkeys and recovery methods.

This is actually something I struggled with: I couldn’t find a proper way to add more devices and I’d read about having a recovery device, but couldn’t find how to add one. I also saw some posts on reddit revolving around passkey/recovery device management: post1, post2, post3,…

When you try to log in from a dapp, you get redirected to https://identity.ic0.app/#authorize but once you successfully log in, that page closes itself (which is the behavior I would expected btw), so you never land on that page!

My recommendation (and this was an first intuition when I tried) would be to simply add a link to that page (https://identity.ic0.app/#) from the top-right dropdown of the NNS dapp. Something like this:

dropdown open identity

@chepreghy

5 Likes

This is pretty helpful, much of ICP community members are geeks and this type of “cold eye” feedback is certainly helpful to the engineers.

1 Like

Thank you! Great idea!

1 Like

DFINITY should look into this. I was also struggeling to know how you need to stake ICP when i was new here. it’s good to have newcommers feedback

1 Like

It’s always awesome to see feedback from the community being heard and followed.

I just noticed this is live :slight_smile:

Well done !

2 Likes