πŸš€ Announcing Juno - Build on the IC using frontend code only

I am thrilled to introduce my new project :point_right: Juno

Juno is a unique open-source platform that makes building Web3 applications on the IC more accessible for the frontend developers :rocket:

No backend code is required. No new patterns to learn. Only JavaScript code like its Web2.

I’m starting with a closed beta program today. Contact me for an invitation code :wave:.

Retweet, share and :star::star::star: on GitHub repo are also much appreciated.

To infinity and beyond!

30 Likes

I love the simplicity here of the apis. Really cool stuff. I’ll be excited to see some of the initial use cases!

3 Likes

Thanks, glad to hear that!

As super early initial use case you can count the website which is deployed through Juno and, also the form (https://jx5yt-yyaaa-aaaal-abzbq-cai.ic0.app/) I built for the sign-up to the beta :smile:

4 Likes

No more invitation codes needed! Juno is now open for any developer :fire:

Also, there is a new landing page :man_artist:

9 Likes

Juno turns one todayβ€”what a fun journey! :cake::partying_face:

Reflecting on the announcement, it’s interesting to notice how, although it is still designed to operate without backend code, developers can now enhance its capabilities with Serverless Functions. :crazy_face:

Eager to see what the next year brings!

8 Likes

Happy birthday to Juno. Wen no code website builder?

1 Like

Happy happy bday! Still really pleased to be hosting my website on Juno

2 Likes

A no-code website builder is not really in Juno’s plan, but I would welcome an initiative that uses Juno as an infrastructure for this purpose.

That said, the community is β€œpushing” to add some sort of additional showcase/feature to deploy something easily. We are probably going to realize this (once an II limitation is lifted), but not further.

I personally think it would require too much effort and investment to build a super slick no-code builder that could compete with giants like WordPress, Webflow, and others, but again, I welcome any project willing to do so!

2 Likes

:partying_face: :pray::metal: :rocket: :blue_heart:

Something like a Web3 Wix would be an amazing asset to have in the ICP ecosystem! Imagine the userbase that would be attracted knowing the front end could be built off of a template leveraging the IC. Massive!

To speak frankly, I’m not convinced that the ability to build the frontend off-chain is a compelling enough unique selling proposition to outperform established cash cows. A no-code website builder sounds like nice idea but, realistically, would require quite a significant investment with a risk of remaining niche markets. However, I would be really happy to be proven wrong.

1 Like

It is not necessary for the no-code website builder to outperform its off-chain competitors. Instead, it should provide a viable alternative to more centralized options. This argument can be applied to any blockchain-related project, but it is still worth pursuing. If the value proposition of the Internet Computer is to build on-chain systems, then a no-code website builder is a logical choice for a proof of concept. Dfinity should consider funding this project to demonstrate the capabilities of the IC.

1 Like

I definitely would like to see some other third parties build it. I understand that you may not have the bandwidth or financial means to build something like that. That’s why I advocate for a third party or dfinity to provide a grant for it.

1 Like