Querio is live: Search the Internet Computer

Introduction

Hello everyone, CrossChain Labs is pleased to announce that Querio is live on https://querio.io/

Querio is a search engine of exceptional speed and accuracy that empowers its users to search over the Internet Computer. The search results returned by Querio have a level of specificity that exceeds those produced by other web3.0 search engines.

What it does?

• empowers users to search for multiple words at the same time
  • provides autocomplete suggestions as the user types words, designed to make it faster to perform searches
  • returns accurate results almost instantly
  • displays the number of search results and the duration taken by the search process
  • exhibits each canister’s logo
  • show content snippets derived from the information retrieved on the searched pages
  • implements pagination for displaying search results
  • efficiently scrapes all canisters of the Internet Computer within a span of 24 hours, in order to keep the search results as current as possible.

Inspiration

The idea of Querio came to our mind during the ICP.lab Business Booster, PR&Marketing session, when Shruti Sutwala presented the Web2 → Web3 equivalents and we noticed that an accurate, fast and reliable search engine equivalent dedicated to ICP was missing.

From that point forward, we started the development of Querio and have been solely financing the research, development, infrastructure and release.

What’s next?

Our main focus is on expediting the launch of Querio SNS DAO. Once the token is created, we will proceed with the development of additional functionalities. Our vision for Querio is to evolve into a cross-chain web3 search engine, by expanding the scope of its searches to cover various web3 chains, including Ethereum.

The forthcoming plan is to:

• Publish the white paper and roadmap
  • Create a campaign on Funded
  • Launch Querio SNS DAO

Querio Twitter: https://twitter.com/querio_io/status/1653869367921111042?s=20

18 Likes

That’s cool, I’m excited to read the paper and see you on the Funded app.

1 Like

Is there any part of Querio built on the Internet Computer? Or is this entirely off-chain?

3 Likes

What is the team behind that project??

2 Likes

@NathanosDev this part is work in progress.

In the second half of March, we started our work on Querio and accomplished the development of the product from idea to launch within less than two months.

Our primary goal was to determine if it was possible to develop an advanced search engine for the Internet Computer and now we’re working on the process of transferring its code on-chain.

1 Like

@Heihachi we’re 2 FTE and 2 PTE. All with a tech background.

1 Like

Meanwhile… the other search engine Kinic already has code that works 100% on-chain and is soon to be community driven DAO.

Is this a for real project or a meme one?

@apotheosis, during the development process of Querio we became aware that Kinic started on a grant nearly a year ago.

But try searching different words, for example “whitepaper”. Check the results and you’ll see the differences: 8 results from Kinic, 86 results from Querio. In addition, Kinic doesn’t support multiple-word searches, content snippet, results counter, canister’s logo, autocomplete suggestions while typing, and so on.

As mentioned, we are now we’re working on the process of transferring Querio’s code on-chain. It won’t take long.

1 Like

As you mentioned above the total work for those features took your team two months… if you do SNS you will need to open source, what stops Kinic from just using your open-source code or building better code (as the Kinic DAO members are very creative and original)?

1 Like

Nothing should prevent other people from commercially using open source code if the licensing terms allow. That is the spirit of open source software.

That being said I doubt attacking other projects is the best way to promote your own.

3 Likes

There are a few issues here.

1. It is off-chain completely.

2. Consumers can choose which they like better.
    I tried both and for certain terms they do well… for others not so much. Subtitles are a big mess…

3. It is a copy when there are infinite ideas that are needed in the world. Just why?

4. “My project”? Kinic is going to be run by a DAO. I receive 0 from SNS or anything else. I think the DAO version with multiple devs globally, and 100% on-chain is going to do very well.

I think we can all agree that if a new slightly modified off-chain version of ICP came out… we would share what we think.

@apotheosis thanks for your observations, we’ll address them one by one:

Is off-chain just for now, will be on-chain soon. It appears that Kinic is not entirely on-chain as only its frontend is running on a canister. It also seems that an web2.0 search API is what is being used by Kinic’s frontend canister.

1. Consumers can choose which they like better. I tried both and for certain terms they do well… for others not so much. Subtitles are a big mess…

We appreciate your feedback, and we are continuously improving Querio.

1. It is a copy when there are infinite ideas that are needed in the world. Just why?

The idea of Querio came to our mind during the ICP.lab Business Booster, PR&Marketing session, when Shruti Sutwala presented the Web2 → Web3 equivalents and we noticed that a search engine equivalent dedicated to ICP was missing, Kinic was not on that list. During the development process of Querio we became aware that Kinic started on a grant nearly a year ago. The existence of competition leads to the development of superior products, thus we extend our best wishes to you.

1. “My project”? Kinic is going to be run by a DAO. I receive 0 from SNS or anything else. I think the DAO version with multiple devs globally, and 100% on-chain is going to do very well.

Not sure of which project you’re referring to, but Kinic started on a Dfinity grant nearly a year ago. On the other hand, Querio has been funded solely by us.

1 Like

Works better than Kinic, however the name Querio is quite strange I think rebrand would do well is there any way to get involved in the project early I.e nfts etc

1 Like

Please do not post lies or half-truths…
Kinic already has both… they are toggled on and off for testing pre-SNS. The backend has equivalent versions for both on-chain and off-chain support. After the SNS it was planned to have just the 100% on-chain version running. The key here is that both web2 and web3 devs have been using Kinic API.

3. Competition is good…

But in a small emerging space like the IC it sets a bad precedent. Now anyone can throw together a 100% off-chain version of any dApp and make a post right before an SNS… “Look its better because it works off-chain…”

4. Kinic won its category in Supernova hackathon… It was not a grant

It had a very similar start as you do with a one month development time that slowly grew into a community worthy DAO. Can it be better? Yeah!

Thank you @benji for your comment.

1 Like

Thanks @memetics, for sharing your thoughts.

We chose “Querio” because is a unique name, easy to remember, that suggests the idea of searching or querying. Additionally, we felt the name has a modern and innovative feel to it, which can be appealing for users.

1 Like

It seems that you are using Google Analytic cookies… but are in the EU.
I think a banner that you are collecting user data is needed.

How does hits compare with duckduckgo or other web2 search engines?

According to Google EU-focused data and privacy:

“When collecting data, Google Analytics 4 does not log or store IP addresses. Analytics drops any IP addresses that it collects from EU users before logging that data via EU domains and servers.”

There shouldn’t be any privacy concerns since we don’t store users data and don’t use ads.

very handy. Nice work!

1 Like

Ok, but how do you trust them?

Web3 is all about decentralisation, open-source, and user ownership. Everything that I read so far seems like you use AWS, and Google: probably with special web2 search software that will be hard to port to the IC. Elastic search?

The forthcoming plan is to:

• Publish the white paper and roadmap
  • Create a campaign on Funded
  • Launch Querio SNS DAO

This reads like a cash grab.

As another poster mentioned above, the timing is very suspicious.

You could have released a few weeks after the native IC search engine did its SNS and then you would need to build a superior on-chain web3 native version to compete. Rather you went for the ‘steal the thunder’ approach for points two and three above.

Can you please share how you plan to make this more web3?
How will this alter you current business model and search technology?

How and when will you port your database and open-source it?

Recently Origyn, CanScale, and Kinic open-sourced their version: CanDB.
Do you plan on using or contributing to this?

Thank you.

2 Likes