Potential service monetization model

I was thinking about what monetization models that would be best to incentivize the sharing of modular services and I I think I have a pretty decent idea.

Being that everything will run on the same platform, speak the same language, and the pricing model allows for consistent usage-based pricing there’s an interesting model I’m not sure has been addressed.

Say one user develops a service and wants to make it available to other canisters… they could allow another DAPP to use their shared methods without having to worry about throttling and abuse if the canisters Cycle Wallet / payment system could be set up to allow for the required opt-in payment of cycles by the client canister integrating with the service.

Being that the pricing is based exactly on usage, service prices could be competitive and profits predictable with virtually no risk of mis-forecasting the cost of resources. Imagine a small fixed percent amount extra of the raw cycle cost getting sent as payment to the person/canister hosting the service from the client canisters cycle wallet.

5 Likes

No reply yet I see.

I’m wondering the same thing. I want to develop a dApp or open service but in order to run it on the IC I need to pay for cycles. At the same time I need to be able to make a modest profit in order to justify the effort.

I’m very new here but I don’t see any obvious Monetization model. Is anyone able to point me towards related documentation/information?

I’d advise treading lightly. :rofl: You can go down a bit of a rabbit hole that we’ve had on a similar concept below:

I think there are some cool structures and DAO potential in these areas, but there are a few in the community that really don’t want code to charge for itself. I’m super excited to have the conversations and find a way to fund future software development in the most open, transparent, and sustainable way possible.

Thanks for the feedback.

Unfortunately developing for free does not pay the bills and the difficulty for an average non-technical person to create an internet identity make the IC a dead end for myself and most other developers.

Time to cut my losses and move on.

I’m 100% with you. I think this is going to be a great place to build software in the long run. I think there are going to be amazing services. I think we’ll have 1000 different revenue models. Stick around and contribute and don’t let the opinion of one person run you off.

2 Likes

Say one user develops a service and wants to make it available to other canisters… they could allow another DAPP to use their shared methods without having to worry about throttling and abuse if the canisters Cycle Wallet / payment system could be set up to allow for the required opt-in payment of cycles by the client canister integrating with the service.

Can you explain how this is different from pay-as-you-go billing for cloud services, like for AWS?