Candy Library - Try 2 - Financing Software on the IC

Do you guys have vague ideas how a decentralised system could enforce the licenses instead of relying on goodwill or governments? Would be nice to brainstorm about that.

Identity seems to be the missing piece to so many use cases. Once it’s costly to create another online/on-chain identity for yourself we could start working on online reputation around the identity. Maybe you could then call out others for using the license without paying for it, which would result in some sort of reputation loss.

But of course solving identity is this huge, crucial problem that is hard to tackle. The NNS could bootstrap it by incentivising people to attend people parties but that is really not something that works now. I’m looking forward to it though.

I would say in many ways the main key advantage that governments have over blockchains is that they can clearly identify us and use punishment mechanisms to disincentivise undesirable behaviour. One form of that is to harm our reputation, in my country if you don’t pay a bill someone can publicly accuse you of not having paid. Governments can even physical punishment in the form of prison. If the government is well designed these punishment mechanisms are used for the greater good.

It’s hard to solve these problems without such punishment mechanisms…