Megathread: Community Submissions for DFINITY Foundation’s Roadmap

Very reasonable and I agree

1 Like

These are all great proposals.

I have an idea for a small proposal and that would be to add the cycle_dao neuron ID to the auto-populated list of neurons in the NNS app.

2 Likes

Is this a good space for “small”, technical proposals as well?

If so, I’d like to get “Canisters can make calls from canister_init and canister_post_upgrade” on the way.

What are the steps from graduating from a comment here to a full thread or even listing on https://dfinity.org/roadmap/?

4 Likes

I don’t know how much priority this should be but some time I think there should be: a formal-publish of a correct interface specification for the ledger and at the same time the full functionality of the ledger in the candid.

2 Likes
  1. Inter-canister query calls (lower-level query api support like ic_cdk::api::call::call() and call_raw )
  2. rust actor class support like Motoko.
  3. Motoko vscode plugin, support code formatting
3 Likes
  1. Dfinity testnet for developers
3 Likes

Vanity URLs, canister ids are hard to remember.

2 Likes

Some simple means of validating that canister code is what it is asserted to be, like Etherscan on Ethereum.

Essential in decentralized services to be able to trust that you’re interacting with what you expect to be.

1 Like

You should know that is currently here: Custom domains for ic0.app [Community Consideration] :wink:

1 Like

Hey Megathread folks,

Last week we seeded the different threads and are still iterating off that. I will continue to seed convos as well as work with the teams.

This week, we will start the process of spinning off threads/suggestions from the current list. Thank you for being patient as I get my feet wet in this. I realize some things are more baked than others.

Fwiw, it would help if people heart or like the suggestions they like the most.

2 Likes

I upvoted this but I wanted to highlight how great this would be! Would simplify things a lot in terms of canister architecture. (Although I’m sure the implementation details might not be as trivial as some may think.)

5 Likes

Please scale subnets:

2 Likes

Just had a conversation with @lastmjs . Would be great if dfx could start a replica with all the main canisters - the ledger, governance, management etc installed for local testing. Otherwise testing complex canisters locally is quite difficult. I think this should be high up on the priority list.

9 Likes

The current NNS is not a safe sustainable governance system in the long-term. As long as it is purely POS based, it is subject to manipulation and rug pull. Through any type of fraud and/or collaboration of whales, it is possible to propose and accept a network killing proposal and effectively clean out neurons (AFAIK you could propose and alter anything). And even in best cases, this will only create (deserved) FUD over who has control, until the system inevitably adopts a better approach.

I propose to look towards a more thorough and community based governance system, like 1hive has proposed. Something like the Gardens concept,
gardens. substack. com/p/introducing-gardens

2 Likes

Hi @diegop Many developers express need for a testnet. Any suggestion?

4 Likes

Hi,
Is it possible to work on canister upgrade data migration ? (Questions about data structures and migrations)
Also intercanister query calls.
Cheers

2 Likes

This should be released before “canisters can hold ICP” is activated. We need a testnet version that enables(or gets rid of the whitelist) holding ICP so that we can test those services.

3 Likes

You are certainly not the first to ask for this. Can I ask the intent to make sure I am not missing any? Do you mean you want a subnet where you can deploy canisters without having to pay? If so, that is actually one of the intent by the cycles faucet from Fleek (you get free cycles so you can deploy to any subnet):

1 Like

Stay Tuned :slight_smile: This is currently the most requested feature and the Foundation has listened.

this thread MAY answer your question (or it may not), depending in your intent: Rust Version of Actor Class

Can you let me know.

I think you wrote (understandably) in quick shorthand, so just to make sure I follow:

1. We do have a VS Code plugin: Motoko - Visual Studio Marketplace

2. I think you are saying that you would like better code formatting. Any example of what you’d like may be helpful. This may be super trivial or complex depending on a bit of more context.

cc @kritzcreek (who worked in the VS code plugin)

1 Like