Could not log in while the device holding the achor was running the same canister

I also recommend this guide I wrote up on integrating with Internet Identity - I break down the essential steps and explain a little how they work: Integrating with Internet Identity

1 Like

yes, but it won’t trigger the popup permissions issue because it’s initiated by a user action. The browser is treating your current approach like those old-school spam ads

1 Like

well thats no good. Thanks for the link. i will update the code and send a cornfirmation if it succeded

2 Likes

Thanks this worked and my dapp is more legit. but i ran into another problem.
It seems something happened and my anchor device is not recieving notifications sent from browsers in other devices. is there a way to re-sync it or something. Im trying to hold back making a new connection because it will create a completly different principal
here is the dapp i believe it should be working. though the design is shocking at first

As in - the “Add Device” flow in Internet Identity is not working for you, or do you mean there is some behavior you are expecting in your app that is not happening?

1 Like

when i use anything that need the internet identity lets say the nns. if i log in with the device that has the anchor(my phone) i just have to use my fingerprint and im in everything works. but when i use another device like my computer. usually it brings up a window where i choose my device with my anchor(my phone) and a notification gets sent which i can use to log in with my fingerprint. but this doesnt happen.
the app works well. The problem is my anchor device is not recieving notifications from other login portals other than locally in the anchor device(my phone)

Did you add the other device to your anchor?

If you do so, at least in Chrome and Safari, a popup should not appear but the authentication feature (face or touch id etc.) of the particular device - your computer - should be use

e.g. I use my phone for my anchor but I also added my computer (a Macbook) as an additional device, so when I signin on my computer, it uses the touch id feature of the computer - no popup

Note: with the term “device” I understand a combination of a device (phone, computer) + browser (chrome, safari). So if I want to use two browsers on my computer, I add two devices to my anchor

1 Like

no I chose to only use my phone to log in to evrything that requires internet identity.

this is also how i see it.
the way i set it app there is only one way to log in and that is through my fingerprint.

in total for my internet identity i have three devices. that is my computer(google+pc), laptop(google+laptop) and phone(google+phone.) but no matter which u use i always have to go through my phone to log in. this is how it has been. but now when i do the same thing i dont get the notification asking me to scan my fingure. It is not an alarming warning i just wonder if there is a way to fix it. I can easily fix it my removing and adding the device again but that will make a different principal.

thanks for the details, probally reaching the limits of my ii knowhow here. on pc and laptop you are using windows? I think the device should be set with windows hello or something to use the touch or face id but not exactly sure how it works.

1 Like

yes i am.

it can but i chose specifically not to. i wanted to have only one point of acces even if im logging in from multiple devices. that was my phone i got a notification on my phone whethere i tried to log in in my computer laptop og even the the phone.i researched a bit and i believe the principal is hashed from the internet identity itself not the device that holds the anchor. i thought that resetting the connection would change the principal but now i think other wise. as long as i dont lose acces to the internet identity it self i get the same principal.
the principal is a fuction of the anchor and the url. not the not the anchor device and url.
the anchor is live in the ic while the anchor device is just a login private key(hashed between the anchor and the device thats been added.)
you can look at it like the anchor is the public address and the anchor device is the private key.
i can reset any device as long as i have another device as a login portal for backup.

I still dont know what cuts the connection so that much is a problem that has to be seen more. might be a problem with dfinity, me or something in between. i can try recreating it if im asked i dont know if ill be succesful though.

1 Like

I should have asked that in first place :wink:. Well then my above suggestion are not those you are looking for. As I mentionned in my previous comment, I think we reach here the limit of my knowhow of ii and unfortunately cannot help more personally.

1 Like

youve helped plenty thanks

2 Likes

Hello, NEED HELP didn’t know how to create a new thread. I had NNC Wallet on another mac, now i switched to another mac with full transfer of data^ trying to log шт шт NNC and nothing working, don’t want to let me in, says can not check identity. I lost my access, because i switched to another notebook? I erased system from old notebook. I thought it would work if i transfer the data

Hey Alex! In short: Yes, it’s likely that you erased the cryptographic keys with all the data on your old notebook. The reason is that the cryptographic keys are stored in secure hardware on the device, and they are not exportable. And yet, Apple recently introduced the concept of passkeys (other vendors have announced to support the same), so in case you had created your key as a passkey, it could still be around on iCloud or so. Unfortunately, it’s impossible to tell from the outside which type of key you created.

Do you have any recovery measures (e.g. recovery phrase, additional devices, recovery key) set up?

Thank you very much for your response. I do have old MacBook air, but all data has been erased. Maybe i can log in through it and log in via browser, if keys stored hardware? I did not make any recovery measures, my big mistake :man_facepalming:

I am having trouble to set my desktop computer as another device,since my main device is smartphone android on Chrome .I got to read this thread and try to find answer.