Add a "Merge Neuron(s) function on SNSs

@lara
Is it possible to add the Merge Neurons function on the sns neurons? Do you have this on the road map, it is better to have one big neuron than having multiples ones if we want to hold the tokens for the voting rewards. It is also better for every project to implement this option to increase the holding period of time merging into the longer one and ensure that a suddent dump doesn’t occure in the near future.

4 Likes

I agree. It would be nice if this feature could be implemented for SNS neurons.

3 Likes

Hi both and thanks for the suggestion!
This is currently not on our immediate roadmap.
Adding this new neuron command takes quite some effort and there are a few other things that have been on our roadmap for a while and we want to address first. Some examples are making critical SNS proposals more robust, enabling ICRC-2 on SNS ledgers, user experience improvements including easier upgrades, voting history, vote following etc.

2 Likes

@lara
Why can’t the “merge neurons” for SNS neurons reuse the same or similar code as for the NNS/ICP “merge”? If it has already been done, I don’t see why this should be such a huge effort other than adding this function to the UI for all the SNS projects? Shouldn’t this have been implemented concurrently with the main NNS merge function way back when? I think this request should be revisited now that we are 5 months out from your last reply. This seems like an obvious and valid request. Making the NNS easier and more enjoyable to use is important as well.

What is also needed is the ability to filter out tokens for “Tokens”, “Neuron Staking”, and for “Voting” if you do not hold them or via selection mechanism or via user settings in order to declutter the UI which is now getting longer and longer as more projects are being funded and are onboarding. This list will surely become unwieldy eventually.

Thank you for your consideration to improve the NNS/SNS here for investors and users going forward.

3 Likes

Showing only the tokens that one holds is already possible, see the screenshot below:

Similarly, we just release Actionable Proposals which only shows proposals one can vote on:

We plan to do something similar for neurons very soon.

@georgi
The Actionable Proposals update is a good one so thank you for that.

I didn’t notice the “Hide zero balances” before on the tokens page which hides all tokens that are 0 other than ICP itself. That is definitely useful.

I have some ideas. If anyone else wants to chime in or jump into the discussion of the NNS/SNS UI here, please do so and add your ideas to the discussion and if you think some of these are bad ideas, do say so. I don’t want to introduce security vulnerabilities, just make the UI more useful in terms of usage and information for end users and investors… I do realize any changes to the NNS/SNS needs a ton of testing and auditing to ensure there are no bugs or vulnerabilities or latency/scaling issues so I understand this all takes time but at least there should be a roadmap.

DISPLAY ALL WALLETS, EVEN IF 0, THAT A USER HAS STAKES IN

It would also be useful if there was an option to display only those tokens on the Wallet, even if 0, that a user is currently staking on the NNS in addition to the default of ICP. This would remind users regarding tokens they are also currently staking and which they may need to vote on proposals for. Maybe in addition to “Balance” on the wallet, you have “Staked Balance” on the wallet as well with the user’s stake across all neurons or showing all the staked balances for all periods? Then if there is no liquid balance, the wallet will display because there is at least a single staked balance with an option above to show or hide “staked balances” or liquid “balances”… just an idea that I believe would add value here.

BEING ABLE TO LABEL/SAVE/OR JUST EASILY SELECT FROM HISTORY REPEATEDLY USED DESTINATION ADDRESSES FOR EASY REUSE LATER INSTEAD OF HAVING TO MANUALLY DO SO EACH TIME

For users that repeatedly send their tokens to lets say their favorite exchange wallet address, it would be useful to allow a user to essentially label/bookmark/select that address instead of having to copy/paste it each time. Obviously you’d still warn them to double check but the destination address will usually never change and this is the most common use case here so why not save users some time? It is much more convenient and something most exchanges like Coinbase already have in their UI’s to make it easy for users to transfer in/out between their exchange and external wallets. Either a history of last 3 maybe or the ability to label/save destination addresses…basically internet banking here.

UI THAT CLEARLY SHOWS WHICH PROJECTS AND HOW MUCH STAKED AT A GLANCE (and maybe even est. market value per project or whole account)

On that note, it would also be extremely useful and time-saving if investors could login and at a glance see what projects and how much they are staking for each esp. if they are investing in multiple projects other than just ICP. A current est. market value would also be welcome for each project and/or the entire account market est. value would be useful and time-saving to see similar to how you have the entire staked market value showing for the NNS.

FILTER OUT OPTION FOR ALL PROJECTS IN WHICH A USER IS NOT A STAKEHOLDER

For example you could have an option to filter out all projects in which you do not currently have any stakes in and which you cannot vote for.

Alternatively, you could have some type of indicator icon or checkmark on the project selection or it could be shaded differently that shows up to clearly indicate a user’s active stake in that project and maybe even a rounded estimate of the total number of tokens (across all neurons) staked for that project right there even before the user selects it and then they don’t have to go to each and every project to check esp. on a desktop device that is wider and longer.

Being able to see ALL of the user’s current stakes quickly at a glance would be extremely nice. Or maybe just add a completely separate “at a glance” feature however it is very easy to forget which projects currently are being staked and/or may require some voting as you currently have it.

This would improve voter turnout esp. for SNS projects that are suffering from low voter turnout right now and are having some proposals fail and have to be reproposed because of it. Some type of communication mechanism might be needed or appropriate in the future as well…

POSSIBLE REORDERING THE LIST SELECTION (ALL STAKED FIRST, ALPHABETICALLY AFTERWARDS)

Right now, the projects are showing up in the scroller list and dropdown in the order they were funded but it would be nice to have options to reorder the list to put the projects the user has stakes in at the top of the list first and/or to order alphabetically as this list is growing larger over time and will become unwieldy soon.

Same with the voting list of projects on the scroller or dropdown.

There is a bit of a difference between desktop usage and mobile phone usage. It isn’t immediately apparent in a desktop browser to change the width in order to get the dropdown that I was not seeing immediately to replace the scroller list for Neuron Staking and Voting. I realize this was designed to handle both mobile phones and wider devices like tablets and desktops however in doing so, you really do need to think about the UI experience for both because they are not the same.

MERGE SNS NEURONS

As for the “MERGE SNS Neurons”, that is also important to implement and I hope that is not being overlooked because you didn’t mention that in your reply and it seems obvious since “MERGE NNS Neurons” has already been implemented and tested and they seem like identical functions.

Please keep working on the NNS/SNS UI. The user experience can be GREATLY improved here to the benefit of the project and the entire ecosystem. Thank you for all of your hard work thus far and for considering any of these ideas to help improve the user / investor experience and the UI going forward. Incremental improvements really do help a lot.