Will Dfinity be fully open-source?

Hi,

I’m just wondering if all the Dfinity code will be fully open-source or not (including the server code as well as the SDK)?

I was under the impression that it would be eventually, but given that Dfinity’s github repository now has no public repositories, I’m wondering if that decision has changed.

Thanks.

4 Likes

I believe DFINITY will open-source everything at one point, the public github was taken down in preparation for that. Oh and welcome to our community! Feel free to ask any question that might pop up :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you for your quick reply.

That’s what I assumed - so you could get everything all done in a controlled environment first. Good way to do it.

Any estimated timeline on the open-sourcing?

1 Like

With after mainnet launch, i guess itll happen this year but i cant give you a date

2 Likes

Perfect, thanks.

Last question, I think:

Starting later this year, our team will be working on multiple projects that I think will be of interest to Difinity, probably once you’ve launched your mainnet.

If I wanted to contact Dfinity to discuss these (which could potentially result in business partnerships), what’s the best way to do that?

We’d probably want to wait until you’ve launched your mainnet anyway - I’m just lining things up in advance.

Thanks.

2 Likes

Good place to start with is to contact @Mike_DFN :slight_smile: great to hear that you are considering to use the internet computer!

2 Likes

Perfect - thanks.

It’s a great project with so much potential! I’m very excited to see where this goes!

Thank you again for your quick responses. Much appreciated!

2 Likes

No problem! Great to have you here

2 Likes

Do we have any official word from Dfinity on this?

Dfinity talked about giving people a way out from platform lock-in (of cloud providers), but using a new programming language without its compiler and run-time being open-source doesn’t sound appealing for avoiding lock-in.

1 Like

Hey peey, welcome. Yes it will be. The Motoko compiler will probably be the first codebase to be open too; I think this is close to happening actually.

2 Likes

Hi! Thanks for your response. Sorry but I’m new to the community – do you work for Dfinity?

They don’t mention anything on their website or FAQ. So this is something that I think we should hear from Dfinity directly, that’s why I’m asking for an official word from Dfinity (or someone who works for Dfinity).

Even if they aren’t open-sourcing now and plan to in the future, I believe they should have made some sort of an official announcement about it – about why that’s the model they are choosing, what licensing model they’re thinking about, and what the timeline looks like.

1 Like

hey peey, welcome to the community! although there is no written statement, dominic mentioned their plans for opensourcing everything in multiple recent interviews.

2 Likes

We need completely open-source, this is the source of legitimacy of trust

4 Likes

Any updates on this being fully open source?

cf. Cron jobs on ICP - #9 by enzo

I can say that our code base well be made public with a month, so very soon any developer can submit a PR.

1 Like

Once the source code is released , it will silence a lot of the doubters I feel also…looking forward to lots of documentation being available :slight_smile:

1 Like