Upcoming BOOM DAO SNS decentralization sale

BOOM DAO is preparing to launch its SNS DAO with a proposal to start the decentralization sale expected soon.

This post is a forum for the IC community to discuss the BOOM DAO SNS and ask the founding team and partners any questions.

BOOM DAO is a fully on-chain DAO that’s revolutionizing the gaming industry by building the gaming vertical on the Internet Computer.

Our three-fold mission is to power the next generation of fully on-chain games, drive mainstream adoption of the Internet Computer blockchain, and provide a collaborative hub for all things web3 gaming.

Problem Statement

The lack of robust web3 gaming infrastructure in the Internet Computer ecosystem is a significant barrier for ICP games, preventing the onboarding of users, builders, and investors. The development of such infrastructure requires extensive resources, a skilled team, and substantial incentives. Current developers face steep learning curves and major barriers to build fully on-chain games, which have revolutionary potential but demand significant investment, technical support, and effective user acquisition strategies. A collaborative group of game professionals is needed to champion the gaming vertical on ICP and bring its potential to life.

BOOM DAO Platform

To surmount these challenges, BOOM DAO assembled top ICP gaming veterans who have been building ICP games since genesis in May 2021. This team of experts spent over a year developing an all-in-one web3 gaming platform to empower a new era of fully on-chain games on the Internet Computer. As a community-owned DAO, we democratize game development, providing developers with comprehensive on-chain game toolkits, technical support, funding, gaming guilds, and effective user acquisition strategies.

BOOM DAO’s products include:

All products are fully open-sourced in our Github here.
In-depth technical documentation can be found here.

The SNS empowers collective governance and resource pooling, fostering a collaborative environment where all stakeholders are incentivized to contribute to infrastructure development and compound network effects. BOOM DAO’s mission is not just to build infrastructure, but to advance the ICP gaming ecosystem, reduce barriers to web3 game development and accelerate the growth of fully on-chain gaming.

Here is the link to the BOOM DAO Whitepaper. Please read it before asking questions as hopefully they will already contain many of the answers.

Funding Target

• As detailed in our whitepaper, we are targeting a minimum of 400,000 ICP to a maximum of 800,000 ICP.
  • We are seeking 240,000 ICP from the Neuron Fund, which constitutes only 5.7% of the Neuron Fund’s holdings at the time of writing. This is significantly below the guideline that limits the Neuron Fund’s contribution to a maximum of 10%.
  • We are selling 40% of the total token supply to the community in our decentralization sale. This is the largest amount ever allocated to the community in an SNS sale, and it will maximize BOOM’s decentralized governance.

More details about the distribution and SNS configuration can be found in the Tokenomics section of the whitepaper.

We are excited to champion the gaming vertical on the IC and transform BOOM into the DAO for all ICP games!

25 Likes

I would be against BOOM DAO for the following reasons:

1. The team has only been established for more than a month (6.16 Twitter goes live)
  2. Didn’t see what they did. At present, the products they make are very simple,I don’t think their current product can promote the development of ICP game。
  3. no one uses it at all.
  4. I think your product is not mature enough to establish a DAO
  5. Why do you need SNS DAO? Are you short of money?
8 Likes

At present, BOOMDao only displays the current game links of the IC ecosystem on the website, and has not seen any so-called basic game facilities that have been developed for a year.

1 Like

Another reason is that BoomDao just created Twitter in June, and without any product information, the foundation’s Twitter promoted it. What does this phenomenon mean? Is there any interest relationship? Many IC ecosystem products have been working hard for a long time but still haven’t seen any promotion from the foundation’s Twitter.

2 Likes

Far inferior to the progress of Inside Dark Studio project. The Inside Dark Studio is currently developing a model that can participate in any game project. But not as actively and profitably selling as BoomDao.

2 Likes
  1. The team has been building game products on ICP full-time for over 2 years, it’s one of the oldest teams on the IC.

2. The gaming infrastructure products that we’ve built are far from simple, they are some of the most complex products in the ICP ecosystem. We’ve developed them since the ICP genesis in May 2021 to solve issues related to hosting game builds in canisters with brotli compression, WebGL browser caching, Unity wallet authentication, universal game database, C# agent for Unity direct communication with canisters, client-side prediction, real-time movement, on-chain game server backend, NFT and ICRC-3 deployment and services for payments and staking. The very first piece of infrastructure we built over a year ago is used by nearly every single gaming project on ICP and can be referenced here: A Unity Game Template for the Internet Computer | by Tommy M | Plethora | Medium
    We’ve consolidated many of these products into our open-sourced Game Launcher, World Engine protocol, World Template, Unity Template, and ICP.NET Library, which are the culmination of over a year of R&D. Many of your favorite ICP games have leveraged and will continue to leverage our infrastructure. And we’re thrilled to continue building tools and infrastructure that support all games in the ICP ecosystem.

3. Refer to the above.

4. A world-class DAO building critical gaming infrastructure and gaming protocols to foster network effects across all ICP games and advance the gaming vertical on ICP is the perfect fit for an SNS.

14 Likes

BOOM DAO will offer 40% of the total token supply to the community in our decentralization sale. This is the largest amount ever allocated to the community in an SNS sale, and it will maximize BOOM’s decentralized governance. We’ve also allocated 23% to founding partners in the ICP gaming ecosystem, which includes all the well-known ICP gaming projects and teams building amazing games on the Internet Computer. Our mission is to align incentives for collaboration and become the DAO for all ICP games. The token allocation of BOOM DAO was designed to be the most decentralized SNS sale to date.

6 Likes
  1. I admit that Plethora has been developed for a long time, but it is another project, and the boomdao project is only a month old.

2. Please list which ICP game projects use your products, I did not see this in the link you gave

1. A world-class DAO building critical gaming infrastructure and gaming protocols to foster network effects across all ICP games and advance the gaming vertical on ICP is the perfect fit for an SNS.

What does this sentence mean? Why do you have to be on SNS? this doesn’t convince me

1. In my opinion, your product is like a game navigation station
1 Like

Gaming is hard. @atomikm has been building on the IC for a long time. The world engine seems super ambitious and I don’t fully understand it. However, I support this DAO because they understand gaming and the IC more than any other gaming team here. So it just makes sense to invest in it.

9 Likes

I don’t understand the negativity in this thread.
The team is legit, they’ve been here since Genesis and created various communities and projects that still hold up to this day, a testament to their community involvement and genuine interest in the ecosystem’s growth.
Plethora is yet another proof of the team’s capabilities, it’s a very well-designed game hub that blends NFTs, and on-chain features ( even the ckBTC thing was fun with the spins and everything) - it shows the team is capable of scaling up their product to help the IC.

I don’t see why people are so hell-bent on pushing all kinds of SNS sales through and shoot down the ONLY gaming-related proposal rn. Gaming is one of the easiest ways to attract people to the IC, if the incentives are there and they sure are if BOOM DAO plans accordingly.

Furthermore, it’s the only team positioned properly to kickstart the gaming side of things on the IC so yeah, I’m fully behind this SNS sale because it’s one of those things that will actually be used and show people 'Hey look at this, this whole thing is built on the IC, fully on-chain dudes! ’

15 Likes

Like what project did they work on? How many real users are using it? Can I write html and then SNS 1 million ICP?

1 Like

I also don’t understand the negativity in this thread.

The team behind the Boom DAO project is one of the oldest teams in the ICP Ecosystem. True OGs that have delivered on their promises & networked with pretty much all the ICP builders.

Developing games on the Internet Computer Protocol can prove to be difficult, especially when you lack the necessary documentation or are just stuck at some step.
If Boom DAO is going to streamline the process of building games on the IC by providing the required infrastructure & documentation, this is a HUGE plus for the entire ecosystem, not just the gaming sector.

There are plenty of games being developed on the IC and most of them receive too little attention. To unite them under a DAO could be the winning move.

I would bet that Web 3 gaming in 2024-2025 will be what DeFi was in 2020-2021. ICP needs to prepare accordingly.

10 Likes

Hi all,

My name is Tiago, wanted to bring a bit of a perspective of an actual user that has grown from a gamer on the IC into being a contributor to the gaming ecosystem.

First, I would like to make it clear that my opinion is biased as I am part of the founding partners and really hope this sale goes forward as I would like to contribute more to gaming on the IC.

My first usage of the IC was actually through games, like Plethora, but something as simple as Spartan, was already fun. Have played and beta tested with games like Eimolad, FaeFolk, Cubetopia, PawsArena, etc. I was impressed by how easy and comfortable it was to play online, and how it can all be sourced and controlled from the blockchain.

On January this year, I did the Motoko Bootcamp, in-person in Porto, and it was great. Some weeks later joined one of the games I was more anxious for: Obsidian Tears.

I have been the Motoko/React Developer of the project since then and have seen live the many struggles they, and the ecosystem faces.

We don’t have yet an “economy” on IC gaming. That won’t come out of thin air. Mobile/App gaming only grew to the behemoth it is today when Apple / Google / Facebook gave it a system to make it easy to market, play and earn from it.

We (now talking about me, Obsidian, Plethora, Cubetopia, Eimolad, etc.) believe we need to solve this as a group, not as individuals. There are large benefits to all by having shared infrastructure, sharing interactions, shared token, etc.

I really see that what these big players did to the mobile ecosystem, could be what the BOOM DAO could do to the IC ecosystem.

We need to invest on infrastructure, make it easy for any game developer to publish on the IC (see Boom Dao Game Launcher + World Launcher), then we need to make it super easy to bring players, to have accounts, make payments, participate on game decisions, and so on.

To be frank, we are talking about bringing millions and millions of active monthly users to the IC. ETH got its first congestion(s) with cryptokitties (a game!).

But this excitement and potential won’t come out of thin air. We need every dev, marketeer, investor we can get. The task is real, but no easy feat, hope you too join us in this endeavor.

Thanks for your reading and consideration.

17 Likes

Hey all,

As others have said I’m a bit surprised by the negative reception to BoomDAO we’ve seen from a couple of people, personally I think it’s clear that BoomDAO is being built by some of the most established developers in the entire ecosystem, and the project has some serious founding partners and contributors, I really suggest any doubters check out the partners section of the BoomDAO site. Tommy and the rest of the founding team have consistently delivered quality and engaging content via Plethora and they are well positions to identify and solve the problems specific to game developers on the IC.

BoomDAO is much more than a HTML website as some have suggested, and the team have already produced a multitude of tools that will help kickstart new developers on the IC. I have no doubt that Tommy’s unity template has helped many games get started on the IC, and I certainly wish that kind of information was out there when I got started building games on ICP.

I can tell you that I personally believe in the founding team’s vision and I will personally be doing what I can to help BoomDAO transform the IC into THE chain for gaming. In my view ICP has the potential to become the ultimate blockchain for gaming, and this is something far from being in the public zeitgeist. Have a quick google for “best blockchain for gaming” do you see ICP mentioned anywhere? I hope BoomDAO will open the floodgates, both helping to onboard game developers and to provide a space where we can point gamers too to showcase all the awesome games we have building on the IC.

BoomDAO’s idea for The World Engine is also a much welcomed addition the ecosystem. My time building on the IC has been at times frustrating as I have tried to navigate the different standards we have. I hope that The World Engine will offer new developers an intuitive way to store their game data on chain, and will open the door to an interoperable future on the IC where games can easily communicate and share data with one another.

In conclusion, I believe in the Founding Team’s vision and their ability to deliver a better future for gaming on the IC. I am proud to be a partner and contributor to the project, and I hope we can make BoomDAO a success.

10 Likes

I’m reading the White Paper right now and I’m having questions. Did I understand correctly that one of the goals of BOOM DAO is to create common developer tools? That would be cool. I will give an example from our practice. Developing browser games completely on-chain, we are forced to work in Unity Engine. Unlike UE, Unity does not have such a large set of tools. Some of the available tools cannot work with WebGL (for example, VFX constructor). In this regard, we are forced to write our own tools and libraries. It takes a lot of time and effort. Even shaders have to be created by themselves, because those available on the Internet are not able to compile correctly into IC. We will support the idea of creating a joint development environment, we think it is very useful

10 Likes

BOOM DAO IS A GREAT MOVE FOR THE ICP SYSTEM THEM BUILDING WITH US WILL HELP US MOVE FASTER TO GAMES ON THE ICP SYSTEM WE HAVE GREAT GAMES OF OUR OWN LIKE EIMOLAD AND DRAGGINZ DSCVR-ONE GAMES MORE GAMES IN THE ICP SYSTEM THE BETTER BOOM DAO WE NEED IN TO BUILD FORREAL WORK WITH THE OTHER GAMES IF FIND YOURSELF NOT ABLE TO MOVE AROUND THE ICP SYSTEM. AS FAR AS THE ICP YOU ARE ASKING FOR FROM NNS FUND IT IS THE RIGHT AMOUNT (I VOTE YES) ICP MEMBER WILL VOTE YES FOR BOOM DAO IN THE END[quote=“atomikm, post:1, topic:21577, full:true”]
BOOM DAO is preparing to launch its SNS DAO with a proposal to start the decentralization sale expected soon.

This post is a forum for the IC community to discuss the BOOM DAO SNS and ask the founding team and partners any questions.

BOOM DAO is a fully on-chain DAO that’s revolutionizing the gaming industry by building the gaming vertical on the Internet Computer.

Our three-fold mission is to power the next generation of fully on-chain games, drive mainstream adoption of the Internet Computer blockchain, and provide a collaborative hub for all things web3 gaming.

Problem Statement

The lack of robust web3 gaming infrastructure in the Internet Computer ecosystem is a significant barrier for ICP games, preventing the onboarding of users, builders, and investors. The development of such infrastructure requires extensive resources, a skilled team, and substantial incentives. Current developers face steep learning curves and major barriers to build fully on-chain games, which have revolutionary potential but demand significant investment, technical support, and effective user acquisition strategies. A collaborative group of game professionals is needed to champion the gaming vertical on ICP and bring its potential to life.

BOOM DAO Platform

To surmount these challenges, BOOM DAO spent over a year developing an all-in-one web3 gaming platform to empower a new era of fully on-chain games on the Internet Computer. As a community-owned DAO, we democratize game development, providing developers with comprehensive on-chain game toolkits, technical support, funding, gaming guilds, and effective user acquisition strategies.

The SNS empowers collective governance and resource pooling, fostering a collaborative environment where all stakeholders are incentivized to contribute to infrastructure development and compound network effects. BOOM DAO’s mission is not just to build infrastructure, but to advance the ICP gaming ecosystem, reduce barriers to web3 game development and accelerate the growth of fully on-chain gaming.

Here is the link to the BOOM DAO Whitepaper. Please read it before asking questions as hopefully they will already contain many of the answers.

Funding Target

• As detailed in our whitepaper, we are targeting a minimum of 600,000 ICP to a maximum of 800,000 ICP.
  • We are seeking 320,000 ICP from the Neuron Fund. We will strictly adhere to the guideline that limits the Neuron Fund’s contribution to a maximum of 10% of the total maturity of the Neuron Fund at the time of submission.
  • We are selling 40% of the total token supply to the community in our decentralization sale. This is the largest amount ever allocated to the community in an SNS sale, and it will maximize BOOM’s decentralized governance.

More details about the distribution and SNS configuration can be found in the Tokenomics section of the whitepaper.

We are excited to champion the gaming vertical on the IC and transform BOOM into the DAO for all ICP games!
[/quote]

3 Likes

I’m curious about @borovan perspective on Boom DAO in the context of gaming and IC platform, given his extensive experience in developing mainstream game.

Generally speaking, I’m in favor of the Boom DAO concept.

5 Likes

Are you emphasizing the role of the project, rather than whether a 40% share is worth raising 600000 to 800000 icps. If that’s the case, the role of just one project can be valued at 1.5-2 million icp, which is $6-8 million, without anyone using or understanding it. Why?

1 Like

Another question, do any members of your team work for the foundation? Or have members of the foundation participated in your development?

Disclaimer: I am receiving an initial token allocation based off my work I have done with ICP.NET (C#/.NET agent) and collaboration with gaming teams in the ICP space. I was not involved in the whitepaper/SNS details but I am aligned with the BOOM DAO and expect to work with them in the future. The following is my thoughts and not pre-reviewed by the BOOM DAO. Ill have @atomikm or @icpmaximalist correct me if anything I say doesn’t reflect their mission

Hello,
I wanted to also chime in to give my support for BOOM DAO and give my thoughts in general.

I am excited about BOOM DAO. As a ICP developer this has the potential for creating a new organization to work for in the gaming space. Based on the whitepaper and my own interpretation, the DAO-ification of BOOM DAO is vital for what it is trying to do which seems to be bringing together individual gaming organizations and developers to work toward a common goal of improving the IC gaming ecosystem and working together to build common infrastructure and shared tools that benefit all gaming organizations (and ultimately the gamer). Without a DAO like this its hard to organize, fund and collaborate between small organizations and individual developers. This is why consolidation in the modern day is common, because small businesses and individuals can be less efficient or redundant than a big corporation working towards a common goal. A DAO has the potential to be a powerful uniting tool. This DAO aligns with what I think is a powerful use case for where a DAO can really bring value. A DAO controlling an application is good, but a DAO aligning multiple parties (with their own apps) towards a common goal and sharing infrastructure.

I cant speak to any specific numbers or details of the SNS sale because I was not a part of the process, but I would say I agree with the general direction and goals of the whitepaper.

• Create a DAO to allow game developer collaboration on common goals/needs
  • DAO can contract with/award developers with tokens for work put towards those goals/needs
  • Create a base protocol/service that creates a utility for the token besides just governance

Also this DAO token doesn’t seem to be a just speculative asset like others can be. Not financial advice but I would personally not ‘invest’ in this DAO to 10000x your investment, but rather see it as an investment into making the IC gaming space a better place and well funded. The price of the token will probably be dependent on its actual utility vs a wildly fluctuating speculative asset. So if the DAO does a good job and creates something that is useful and something people want to use, that would affect the value of the token. But ultimately I think the real value of the DAO will come from gaming organizations being able to work together and not have to do redundant work in their own little bubbles, but rather do it once through the DAO, reducing costs and allowing small orgs to compete against larger orgs with more resources. All this in theory and has to be tested, but I am excited for the journey

In my personal utopian future fantasy

• Small organizations can thrive and have advantages that large companies by utilizing DAOs to collaborate on shared goals
  • Incentives can be aligned between different orgs and individuals to work toward a goal that benefits the whole vs the just individual with negative externalities (through tokenomics)
  • individual contributors (freelance devs, writers, etc…) dont need to be employed by a single organization, but instead work for multiple joint organizations (DAOs)
  • Online services can be autonomous and provide a service and a fraction of the web2 rate because archaic human institutions dont have to be involved and rent seeking behavior can be more easily avoided due to the open nature of blockchain

As far as the SNS/Decentralization sale, this is a good way to get initial funding to allow the DAO to have community influence and be able to have initial funding for their goals. As far as the numbers I cant speak to because I am not involved in that and I am not a economist, so ill let others give their input on them. While there are technically other DAO options vs the SNS, the SNS is a Dfinity backed software project that seems to be the safest and most tested/stable option out there right now. So I support the SNS choice, but would say that as long as the BOOM DAO messaging is about making a good IC gaming ecosystem vs an investment that can 1000x I am on board with the funding from the sale.

Anyways, very excited for a DAO with good utility that focuses on a specific mission that isnt just an application. Also I wanted to send a thanks to @atomikm and @icpmaximalist for this opportunity to join them in this journey, just kinda fell into it as a freelance developer, but they seem to be leading the charge in this collaboration effort and uniting all these IC orgs and individuals to do something together.

11 Likes