Proposal: Rename "The Internet Computer" to "Intercompute" (or a similar abbreviation)

“The Internet Computers” would have been a pretty rad name for a garage rock band in the early 2000s :wink:

3 Likes

Why not call it World Computer, wasn’t this the goal?

Ticker:WC
Still toilet themed though

If a proposal would come about to rename the project to anything that has been suggested so far, I shall vote NO. I think we’re fine as we are with Internet Computer.

When I introduce people to the network, I start with “Internet Computer” and the tech. After giving them a good idea, I then start to call it “The IC” (and no, not ICP as IC sounds cooler).

1 Like

I would like to clarify my intentions/ post was not intended as an Internet Computer name hate remark. I just think You are right, they nailed some of the names, and others are like… Idk… it isn’t bad but it’s something of its own which I guess is what they wanted? i really don’t know hahaha Idc if this does come of anything or does change. I just am glad i’m not the only one with this same thought process haha I would love for it to be an open on going discussion though for sure…

WorldOne or keep acronym ICP simple is better

Intercompute almost makes sense but the name loses the fact that it’s a network and a subset of the internet, it sounds kind of like some sort of compute platform for AI. My two cents was left at Temperature Check Proposal – Rename IC to "DFINITY Network" - #23 by BHare1985 but ultimately at this point I think it’s too late to pivot to a new name.

I think internet computer does a good job at explaining what it’s trying to be, a network acting like a single computer. The “IC” and “ICP” are simple enough that in due time they will be used by laymen and they don’t need to know it’s origin just like “internet” was a play on interconnected networking.

I think it is better to focus on development, necessary and practical than arguing about a new name. didn’t help when changing the name. let’s spend some time thinking about what more can be done to build on the IC so that it is better and can have more practical applications. rather than a name change.

1 Like

Totally agree with you. The Internet Computer is the best imo. It is very easy to understand that there is a project called Internet Computer (https://internetcomputer.org/), and there is a team called DFINITY focus on developing Internet Computer and in the future there will be more teams come to join in developing Internet Computer.

Maybe many ppl don’t fully understand the Internet Computer, sharing my understanding here:

There are many super computers that are connected through the Internet that generate a brand new blockchain coding world that could bring a new life for ppl all over the world.

I care about everything about the Internet Computer, I believe it could bring a great future for all of us who believe in it cause the dream is big enough. Is this not good enough?

To be honest, “the Internet Computer” and the DFINITY team are the only two reasons I bought a lot ICP Token. I just believe so.

Just focus on development if you have the knowledge of coding, if no, while you are still believe in the project especially DFINITY team, just focus on your life rather than thinking of a new name.

3 Likes

I kind of disagree, tech worth nothing if no one uses it. Marketing is very important peace and agree that internet computing does not sound good. I like the suggestion of just use IC.

He @Tony89 did not say marketing is not important, Marketing does not mean we have to change a name, changing such a good name to market is ridiculous.

2 Likes