My NNS has been stolen,Please help me

My problem has not been solved yet. Could you tell me more about yourself?

Why not? Seed phrase is “new”, I agree. But it is pretty simple to store it, if you think about it. If it makes you feel better, store it in multiple places. Or save it under LastPass or smth, where you can trust someone else to store them for you. Seed phrase is practically unbreakable password. Are you saying you don’t like the security of storing a password? It’s too risky?

IMO, the II system is the simplest approach, period, to solve the web auth problem. As a user, I just have to take the responsibility to store my password, which is not a lot to ask. I don’t want the IC to build a KYC system or smth to offer this recovery. If that’s what you want, you could easily store the passwords in various ways, including your Google account.

1 Like

The answer can be long but I will make it short. Because it is in a Browser.
You make one mistake in your life by clicking on a malicious link. Or you forget that your employer have all his computers recorded and you change your SEED phrase while using it. You are done. For mass adoption, where people click on every link, everywhere, use public computer, etc, seed phrase are really bad.
If we stay only our gang, and keep crypto only for ourselves, no problem.
And the worst, if someone have your seed phrase by one of your mistake, you will never know it. There is no Login recording, no 2 or 3FA. So the thieft can look at you loading your account for years, and then, strike. Login to your identity, remove all your devices and add his.
I prefer Ledger Nano and Yubikey. The thieft need your phisycal device in have to log in your account. Much more difficult to do.
Storing seed can also be a problem for many average users, but this is something else.
At least, split your seed phrase in 2 parts and store them 2 different ways while hoping your browser and computer were totally clean while creating it.

1 Like

Maybe we should just let it playout buy locking the account and wait till other parties come forward for not having access. Then icp can assist the police or courts with a disputed account and let the parties work it out.

I would also like to point out in my opinion that as in this case no icp was stolen but the ownership is being disputed so this is not a security issue.

If no one comes forward then this will become the same as a account where the owner may have passed. I have and would propose again that the NNS should direct all accounts owners to be a member of this forum and have the anchor number recorded in their account. This would provided a timeline and trail for ownership.

There is a > 50% chance op/boss are guilty parties. Theft on this scale should involve local criminal investigators. Were police reports filed? If not, why not? Did internal surveillance videos reveal suspicious activities or were they not helpful?

1 Like

Here are data points i find odd:

1. This happened to op before with another coin. Victim should have proceeded to next venture with extreme caution and low stake investments.
  2. Op staked many thousands of icp for 8 years solely to have a greater impact on governance. Not sure what 30,000 icp in oct 2021 was worth, but it was a lot more than today’s value. How rich is oc/boss and why make such an investment?
  3. How did op obtain such a large stash of icp?
  4. How sad the surveillance tapes were not helpful.
  5. How sad the authorities could provide no help.
  6. It is simple, follow the money.

Having been very close to law enforcement friends and family for over 30 years, i can state that the best criminals can absolutely completely convince you they are the poor innocent victim.

I assume he got the tokens during the seed sale.

No. A court order would be sufficient proof.

In China, all cryptocurrencies are illegal.