Introducing Canister Builder DAO (CBD)

Congratulations, and welcome more builders to participate in the construction of IC ecology. :motoko_go:

1 Like

@blockpunk

Thank you for the detailed and well written response to my criticism.

There are many projects aiming to build libraries and standards for the Internet Computer, and developers who build and maintain those libraries. Why does it make sense to make a DAO for this and centralize control of those libraries, especially a DAO without SNS governance? GitHub and the Open Source community is decentralized by nature.

DFINITY will continue to iterate on Motoko and fundamental IC libraries, and the community will continue to build out the gaps in between as needed. For example, the JavaScript is maintained by ECMA and the W3C, but the ecosystem is not centralized around a single organization - many developer organizations exist that produce their own code and content without a DAO being involved, and their repos are used/starred on those merits.

Regardless of my negativity and skepticism, I very much appreciate your response to my criticism, and wish you the best of luck in your endeavor.

4 Likes

Welcome dfinity. Hope your good news.

CanisterBuilderDAO’s first community meeting will be held on Twitter Space.

:alarm_clock: 2:30pm CET Mar 18, 2022

Come join us!

5 Likes

Great initiative, happy to support it!

1 Like

Hey @CanisterBuilderDAO it might be a good idea to change the category for this topic to Governance. Right now it is in the General category, but you are actually making a governance proposal. I think if this topic were in the governance category it would have been more widely known before you submitted your NNS proposal. It seems your organization may be well recognized throughout Asia, but I don’t think it’s recognizable globally yet. It also isn’t a recognizable name that has been involved in forum discussions.

I think it is awesome that your organization wants to improve the IC ecosystem and wish you the best of luck. I look forward to learning more about the organization and hearing your thoughts and ideas regarding projects as well as governance topics.

Also, you submitted a Motion type of Governance proposal today. There is no action that will occur based on that proposal other than your own self guided response to the outcome. If you intended to become a named Followee in the NNS dApp, then you need to submit a RegisterKnownNeuron type of Governance proposal. If it passes, then your neuron will be listed automatically.

@zire are you familiar with this group? Any chance you could expand on the people involved and the impact the group has had in the IC community? I just don’t know who they are yet and want to learn.

2 Likes

I have to admit I don’t entirely understand proposal 52133. What does it actually propose? What are we voting for? @CanisterBuilderDAO could you maybe clarify?

4 Likes

@Manu This is a test propose, please ignore it.
When the launch of the official proposal will twitter announced

In full transparency, I rejected proposal only because that is my default behavior for proposals unless I understand and agree what the action item is. I look forward to next proposal to learn more

Thanks for clarifying, i will vote no then.

1 Like

@diegop @Manu Thanks for your reply and attention.

1 Like
1 Like

Good to know that it’s only a test Witter. Thanks for the clarification.

1 Like

@wpb and @justmythoughts Thank you for your question and sharing healthy skepticism. After the ICProposal DAO scam, we shall all be vigilant and extra cautious.

I would probably never use the word “legit” on any person beyond my immediate family members. It’s just too much of an endorsement that’s beyond my capacity. I don’t have access to FBI criminal report or financial statement of the concerned party, whether that party is GE/AWS (my ex-employers) or DFINITY or CBD. If people ask me about DFINITY, I got an easy answer - I work for DFINITY full-time. Is that enough of a signal? Anyway, that’s just me.

Coming back to your question on CBD, I know many of the players in this mini-federation, but not all of them. I’m selective in which events I attend and whose parties I go to, as often my presence per se can send certain signals. All the public activities I’ve done for DFINITY and IC ecosystem can be found on my Twitter. Essentially my Twitter is becoming the wikipedia for all things DFINITY/IC ecosystem in Asia. I build up my Twitter feed for moments like this, so that you can conduct due diligence on various actors in the IC community and draw your own conclusions accordingly.

With that said, here are some references for anyone who’s interested in the background of various participants of CBD:

I’ve met leaders from the following teams in person on multiple occasions: AstroX, CCC, Deland Labs, DfinitySZ, IC Lighthouse, ICP League, IC Port and IC Naming.

The following teams have received developer grants from DFINITY Foundation: AstroX (multiple), CCC, ChainIDE, Deland Labs, IC Port.

I’m scheduled to have an interview with Dstar team for their developer grant application on 4/5. I just interviewed Dstar on Monday as they are applying for our IC BootCamp Accelerator. iBridge Labs applied for our developer grant a while back but we could not support them as it’s too close to DeFi transaction (not to say the product is not valid). Lomesh and I are in continuous discussion with IC Naming team on how to best position their product.

Leaders of the following teams have received grants from DFINITY’s Community Awards Program, Deland Labs, IC Naming, DfinitySZ, ICP League.

I don’t think I’ve met the leader in person or engaged in substantial convo online from the following teams: Dfinity Viet Nam (who is a frequent retweeter of my tweets… thank you!) , ICES and ICPad.

CBD aspires to become another NNS neuron to help advance the development of IC ecosystem, just like ICP Maximalist and Cycles Dao before them have done. I’m rooting for their success.

Hope this helps. Please DM me on Twitter or email me (herbert.yang@dfinity.org) if you need further info.

9 Likes

Best of luck on your magic :star_struck:

This is excellent. I’m aware that there is a huge constituency of developers and enthusiasts in Asia, but this is the first time I’ve heard of the organization called Canister Builder DAO. Since they didn’t list any of the individual people in the group in the proposal or this post, I just wanted to make sure someone like yourself is familiar with the organization. I’m glad that this DAO is forming. It is needed in my opinion because it helps make a strong case for the globalization and decentralization of the IC when it comes to developer tooling and governance participation.

1 Like

There’s a new rule btw, you only get a proposal passed on the nineteenth attempt so please keep trying.

Each …lucrative attempt will get you closer to the goal.

3 Likes

Third times a charm. :man_shrugging::face_with_spiral_eyes:

1 Like

Hey @CanisterBuilderDAO these are all projects created on ICP?

Idk, maybe can share additional projects.

Getting familiar with what you got and looking forward to assist projects with marketing and PR activities.
Tho, these already look amazing. Thanks for your work and initiatives. :fire:

Looks amazing, keep going for it and good luck!