How to change recovery phrase for a cold wallet without losing control of staked ICPs?

I had become a victim of a clever fishing attack when tried to get help at this forum recently.
It was done under disguise of a Dfinity live agent assistance!

I had divulged recovery phrases for my Internet Identity and for my Ledger with which I control my staked for 8 years ICPs.

I have already managed to reset my Internet Identity 24 word phrase.
Is there a way to do the same for the Ledger Nano S without risking losing control of my staked ICPs?
It seems that, there’s no way to reset the recovery phrase for a Ledger device without initializing it, which would wipe all data from it.
Are there any solutions to this problem?
I have found this suggestion: "Do you hold your NNS’ICP with a Ledger Hardwallet attached to your “lost” Internet identity ? If yes, as you have been told, just create another Internet Identity and attach your Hardware Wallet to your brand new Internet identity. Then you will “recover” all your ICP. "
Unfortunately, for this solution I do not see how to transfer my staked neurons from my old Internet Identity to a new one.

Maybe you can try to use IDGeek marketplace to sell your staked neurons of the old Internet Identity(II) to your new II.

1 Like

Are you suggesting to “sell” to myself?
If yes it is VERY ingenious solution to this problem!

Is IDGeek marketplace charging any commission fee for the procedure, if you know?

Thanks a lot!

Yes, they will charge you. You can check it in their FAQ.

Are there any fees for using idGeek?

Yes, there is a fee for selling Internet Identities on idGeek. The fee is calculated based on the higher of two options: either 2% of the transaction amount or a minimum fee of 0.1 ICP. This means that if the 2% fee is less than 0.1 ICP, the minimum fee will apply.

I think IDGEEK does exactly the same thing. They don’t have any deeper access than any of us. So I don’t think selling your identity to yourself will help.

No. If you have the keys you have access to the neurons, and if you change the keys then you don’t have access anymore. It is not possible to transfer control of ledger-owned neurons. On the positive side: the attacker can also not transfer control, so there’s no way for them to just siphon off the neurons either.

I guess that could be correct if IDGEEK is not able to facilitate selling of an identity with a hard ledger’s control at all.

I guess that could be correct if IDGEEK is not able to facilitate selling of an identity with a hard ledger’s control at all. Meaning that in my case IDGEEK is not able to serve me. Unfortunately I could not find anything about this possible limitation in idGeek FAQ.

I wonder if it is possible for me to remove hard ledger’s control from my internet identity. I think it would be quite reasonable option to have. We have the option to remove a lock from an internet identity’s recovery phrase after putting it on. Why not have the same option for this safety measure?

If the neuron is held by a hardware device (like your ledger) then the II only has ‘hotkey’ access, meaning that it may only read information and cast votes. If you go to the neuron and remove your II as a hotkey then it has no permissions over that neuron anymore. You can then create a different II and add that as a new hotkey