BUG: Running into the attached error when running the dfx start command

When I start the dfx replica I’m running into this on an Ubuntu server. Please advise:

Here’s some additional details regarding the environment:

Please let me know if I can provide additional details

2 Likes

Thanks, I relayed it to the right team. Could you maybe try with 0.12.2-beta.0? There’s a chance this is fixed in that version already

2 Likes

Wasmtime requires a CPU with SSE4.1 support. My guess would be that the machine doesn’t have SSE4.1.

Could you please paste the output of the following command to verify this theory?

cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep flags | head -n 1

If the CPU support SSE4.1 then, the output should contain sse4_1

2 Likes

Thank you @ulan

This is the output I received:

flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx lm constant_tsc nopl xtopology cpuid tsc_known_freq pni cx16 x2apic hypervisor lahf_lm cpuid_fault pti

I don’t see sse4_1 here so I assume this CPU/VM does not support running wasmtime.

As a follow on question, I assume this means anything requires running canisters is going to be unavailable including running the local replica.

Should it be able to run commands like dfx build --network ic or dfx deploy --network ic? Or are even these not likely to work?

1 Like

I don’t see sse4_1 here so I assume this CPU/VM does not support running wasmtime.

+1

Should it be able to run commands like dfx build --network ic or dfx deploy --network ic ? Or are even these not likely to work?

I think the commands that don’t involve local execution of Wasm should work. But I am not 100% sure and it is better to try.

1 Like

Is this number correct? 0.12.0-beta.0 was released after 0.12.1?

Also, I don’t see that version here or here. So, not sure if it’s a valid version…

But, anyway, thank you for the help. @ulan helped troubleshoot the issue and arrive at the underlying cause.

No, I mistyped. I meant 0.12.2-beta.0. Basically the latest version mentioned in the sdk releases

1 Like