Who should be the Ledger owner

I am deploying the ICRC1 ledger and I’m unsure who should be set as the owner in the deployment command. Currently, I’ve been using (dfx identity --identity default get-principal) which assigns the default identity as the owner. However, this requires me to always send tokens from the CLI to the desired principal.
when I try to transfer tokens via the ledger’s Candid UI, I get an “insufficient balance” error because the logged-in principal isn’t the owner and doesn’t hold any tokens. Should the owner be the actual principal on the mainnet, or would it be better to create a backend canister as the owner and manage transfers through it? Who should ideally be assigned as the owner in this case?

Command : dfx deploy icrc1_ledger_canister --argument “(variant {
Init = record {
token_symbol = "ICRC1";
token_name = "L-ICRC1";
minting_account = record {
owner = principal "$(dfx identity --identity DevJour get-principal)"
};
transfer_fee = 10_000;
metadata = vec {
record { "logo_url"; variant { Text = "/j.png" } };
};
initial_balances = vec {
record {
record {
owner = principal "$(dfx ledger account-id)";
};
10_000_000_000;
};
};
archive_options = record {
num_blocks_to_archive = 1000;
trigger_threshold = 2000;
controller_id = principal "$(dfx identity --identity DevJour get-principal)";
};
feature_flags = opt record {
icrc2 = true;
};
}
})”

1 Like

You can set multiple initial balances, then you can work with multiple options. For a demo project just go with whichever identity is most convenient. For a serious project I would suggest you create a separate canister to be the minting account

1 Like

(post deleted by author)

It’s a serious project, I want to let users later on exchange ICP with my token, and I don’t know who should hold my token and who should be the owner, so later on that owner can send my token and receive the ICP. So I don’t understand who will be the owner of the token, and for the minting account who also should be the minter and If the minter is a new canister that I will make so what should I put in this canister plus who to mint new tokens from it?