Where to find System Canister Identifiers?

It’s very possible that I’m missing something obvious but I feel like it’s really difficult to lookup the canister identifiers of the Governance canister on docs.internetcomputer.org

And when I “Ask AI” this is what I get

Am I just missing something; or is it possible to make this information easier to find?

Edit: I decided to Ask AI again, being more specific, and it looks like I did get a good answer for the ICP ledger canister. Still nothing for the NNS governance canister id though.

3 Likes

You can find all NNS canister ids here.

You’re not missing anything. It’s just not easy to have all information written out somewhere where the LLM will pick it up. @diegop and a few other people are spending a lot of time to improve the LLM answers. If you find any holes, please just click the ‘Bad answer’ button and they’ll get around to adding something to the training material that covers your question

1 Like

I’ve noted it to add this information to the docs.

Another way to find this information is to look it up on the dashboard: Subnet: tdb26-jop6k-aogll-7ltgs-eruif-6kk7m-qpktf-gdiqx-mxtrf-vb5e6-eqe - ICP Dashboard

1 Like

@domwoe @Severin thank you both for your answers. I want to apologize if my post came across like a criticism of the AI tool, that wasn’t my intent. It gave a surprisingly good answer for the ICP ledger canister after I asked a more specific question.

Truth be told I’ve grown very fond of the IC documentation. I think it’s a wonderful knowledge base and it’s super easy to find low level technical information. I think that is why I was surprised to find it so difficult to locate simple information like canister ids.

See I think this is perfect and I should have thought to look for the canister_ids.json file in the DF GitHub :man_facepalming:.

At the same time I think it might help developers to have a simple listing like this easily accessible from the documentation.

3 Likes

Yes so feedback like this is helpful!

1 Like

ive also updated the LLM for the future. thank you!

1 Like

Not even two days later and it’s been updated. Y’all rock, thank you again :smile:

3 Likes