Unable to Deploy Existing Frontend

I am unable to deploy an existing React application as frontend canisters on the ICP.

Whenever I run dfx deploy, it runs and I receive a frontend canister local link but the components are not rendering. I receive the error Could not find a canister id to forward to when I navigate to the link and a Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 400 (Bad Request) in my console.

If I run npm install and npm run dev, I am able to run localhost:3000 and see the components.

Here is how I built the application:

1. I first built a React application using create-react-app in Typescript (end product is similar to this: GitHub - shahinadev/create-react-app: A sample react app generator.) and now am refactoring the code to deploy the React application as a frontend canister.

2. I created the following dfx.json manually:

{
    "canisters": {
        "app": {
            "frontend": {
                "entrypoint": "src/index.tsx"
            },
            "source": [
                "src/assets"
            ],
            "type": "assets"
        }
    }
}
  1. I navigated to the folder and ran dfx create canister app. This created a .dfx folder.

What could I be doing wrong?

my suspicion is that your source is not pointing to the compiled website. It should point to the directory that’s created when you run npm run build, which is probably dist

1 Like

Thank you so much. This did work! I pointed it to my build folder which is created after I ran npm run build.