Transparency - Request to make public and accessible data related to DFINITY

Dear @dominicwilliams ,

I think it is time to further implement transparency and accountability in this project to give all of us more assurances regarding the absence of any wrongdoing. Internet Computer Community deserves to be able to know how the DFINITY Foundation in Switzerland has been founded (origin of funds) and how is connected with the US companies DFINITY Fund and DFINITY Research (agreement, invoices, balance of payments). Moreover, given the latest evolution of UTOPIA project, would be interesting to have all the documentation related to development of it (financial commitment, sources, KPI, etc.).

It would be also interesting to know if the UK company DIGITAP has ever worked with DFINITY (all 3 entities) and what was the specific purpose of opening in 2016 (dismissing it in 2017) a UK company denominated “UTOPIA SALES”. Regarding the latter, would be appropriate to define what kind of connection that project company has/had with the actual ongoing UTOPIA.

I think that being DFINITY a non for profit, there would be no issue to provide such documentation for a public consultation.

7 Likes

I totally back this request and would also like to add the request for similar information of the Internet Computer Association.

3 Likes

Two years ago, I made the following thought experiment:

*Let every member of DFINITY and ICA be elected periodically by NNS.*

But it seems that people think this is a crazy idea. Today I still think this is indeed the final solution for decentralizing ICP.

1 Like

If it gave out all of that information, then it could get listed on centralized stock exchanges like the NYSE. Wake me up when ANY crypto project, including the ones in the top 5 are willing to do that. Otherwise, it’s standard practice (for good or bad) for crypto projects to not divulge all of their financial information.

There is in fact no legal obligation to do that. It might fight the fud around ICP, but I think it will rather lead to more unnecessary complaints from web3 centric enthusiasts, as people don’t really know how to run a business and are surprised by really normal behavior. I mean sure dfinity has to sell ICP. Who interprets bad behavior into this, is clearly motivated to find reasons their investments are not performing like they wish. I think dfinity is doing everything right and in the future they should release more information around Utopia and how it supports the ecosystem. No need for financial statements, although knowing the runway and main assets they hold could be beneficial. But no details imo.

Deneb joined the forum a few days ago. Deneb’s previous topic was about Dfinity working with a communist regime in Cambodia (appears to be deleted, and rightly so!). And now this.

If only Deneb had the same standard for the UN (since they are working with Cambodia), and the same standard for other crypto projects as he or she expects for Dfinity, then I could see this going somewhere.

But for now, it just seems like someone is just trying to single out Dfinity with some conspiracy theories and selective standards. I’m cool questioning anyone and any view, but when it always alludes to some shady dealings, esp. coming from a brand new member, then you have to start suspecting that someone is trolling or trying to create FUD.

1 Like