Questions for a beginner: Choosing a node + participation

Hello everyone, Michael here. First off, what a space! Excited to have found such an extensive ecosystem. I am a 8 year staker looking to add all of my holdings to my neuron. I am in search of some advice on how to choose the best node to follow and what long term staking requires. Asking as a beginner with hopes of eventually contributing and bringing value to ICP. The questions below are just a few bullets I’m looking to read up on. Please feel free to add additional information. Anything that would point a beginner in the right direction would be greatly appreciated!

Is there an area that provides some sort of short bio or description of each of the top nodes?

What to look for in a node (age, amount staked, etc)?

When following a node (for voting) can the follower still choose to vote on certain proposals?

Can you change nodes if you later find one that better aligns with your stance on ICP?

Is there anything an individual who stakes needs to do regarding upgrades or changes to the ecosystem? If so, how does one know when to do so?

Best ICP communities and informational resources?

1 Like

We currently have this series of videos active that explains a bunch about governance. Otherwise I’d suggest you have a look over here and go deeper from there

3 Likes

It sounds like you intended to use the word “known neuron” in locations where you used the word “node”. If you are looking for known neurons to follow, then you can do research on the dashboard and on vpgeek. Click on any proposal on the dashboard and then scroll to the bottom where all known neurons are listed. Click on the name of any of them and it will pull up a description. The vpgeek.app has additional tools that show voting history.

If you are just looking for a recommendation on who to follow, I recommend CodeGov for all technical topics. You could also look at Synapse for the Governance and SNS & Neuron’s Fund topics. Both are very reliable at voting on every proposal and have been around for a long time. My opinion is biased on these two options since I am involved in both, but there are definitely other good choices.

1 Like

Hey @Cryptomergency, I’m glad to see you realise some of what the IC has to offer.

Bear in mind that there are numerous proposal topics, and you can choose a neuron to follow for each one. I would recommend the LORIMER known neuron for Subnet Management.

I’m currently the only reviewer committed to reviewing this topic :slight_smile:

2 Likes

As a side note, you may want to consider a liquid staking solution for some of your holdings. @WaterNeuron is the one that I would strongly recommend → https://waterneuron.fi/

3 Likes

@Severin started diving into it. Thank you for the direction!

Exactly what I was looking for.

To reiterate, my main worry is following a non reputable source for voting who has a ST goal perspective. There are a ton of proposals that seem (at least in my eyes) to be focused on short term benefits, rather than the long term health and stability of the ecosystem - it seems many are voting with this ST mindset…

Do you see this being the case as well?

Furthermore, is there currently an ongoing issue with “blind voting” causing unhealthy proposals to be pushed through? Blind voting meaning those who cast votes with no regard to the purpose of the proposal, but only for the voting rewards.