Are you a bot or a person? That is difficult to ascertain from across the Internet – but often essential. For instance, social media platforms provide more meaningful interactions if the content is provided by real humans, decentralized governance processes benefit from power being distributed more evenly across many voters, and the bootstrapping of token economies becomes fairer if tokens can be distributed evenly to individuals. All of the above are highly relevant for the IC, which hosts multiple social networks, provides decentralized governance processes, and allows for the tokenization of the dapp services that run on it. But the IC is not only a beneficiary of thwarting bots - it can also provide the solution!
Virtual people parties, coordinated by the Internet Computer, establish the personhood of otherwise pseudonymous identities. In a virtual people party, a small group of users validates each others’ personhood in a process that is fast, easy, and anonymous! For the time of the party, users provide a deposit of 1 ICP which can be withdrawn after the party is complete. During the party, which only takes a few minutes, users are divided into small groups and meet in a special video-chat application on mobile phones. But, unlike a typical video call, users do not show their faces or reveal their identity. Instead, users prove their personhood by directing the camera at the environment and reacting appropriately with camera movements to the requests of other users. At the same time, the video stream of the environment serves to validate the user’s location. This ensures that no user can participate in multiple groups simultaneously.
Bjoern Tackmann (@bjoern )
- 1-pager posted on the forum for review: Wednesday, November 17, 2021
- Community Conversation on People Parties with Bjoern: Tuesday, November 23, 2021
- NNS Motion Proposal (to approve design + project) submission: Tuesday, November 23, 2021. 15:00 UTC.
- NNS Motion Proposal (to approve design + project) expiration: Thursday, November 25, 2021. 15:00 UTC.
- If NNS Motion Proposal passes, ETA on implementation + deploy would take weeks: December 2021.