NNS II generates new principal with every DAPP

Hello Devs

I got a quick and lame question. Been behind with all the latest developments and kinda gotten rusty with my knowledge on II.

I accidently sent a bunch of old ghost tokens to my NNS wallet. Old ghost tokens are not compatible with NNS wallet. I tried to access the ghost token canister and logged in with my NNS II.

Link to the candid: A4GQ6-OAAAA-AAAAB-QAA4Q-CAI.RAW.IC0.APP

I tried transfer method, but it gives me unauthorized error.

What I studied is the principal is different than what it is in my NNS. So obviously ghost tokens canister will not allow this principal and throws unauthorized error.

Is my understanding right that, with NNS II, each Dapp will have a different principal (and its derived account ids)?

So, is this a dead end? pls advice.

Thx.

Hi @icpxy

Is my understanding right that, with NNS II, each Dapp will have a different principal (and its derived account ids)?

Yes, that is correct.

So, is this a dead end? pls advice.

Unfortunately, for now the answer is yes (unless you are a programmer and know what you are doing).

However, we are working on standards in the Identity & Wallet standards working group to alleviate such issues in the future (see this overview).
Not making any promises, but if you don’t need access to the old ghost tokens right now I would advise to just wait and observe the developments of the NNS dapp and II.

3 Likes

Hello @frederikrothenberger.

Thank you for your prompt response.

I will just be watching the development progress and advancements on NNS.

I am okay for now. :slight_smile: