Issue with DNS to ERR_SSL_PROTOCOL_ERROR in Chrome (Swisscom)

We’re experiencing “ERR_SSL_PROTOCOL_ERROR” in Chrome when the host “xdtth-dyaaa-aaaah-qc73q-cai.raw.ic0.app” resolves to IP 195.186.210.241 on some machines.

It works fine (resolving to IPs 193.118.63.169 or 193.118.59.140) on others.

Can the tech team look into this? Thanks!

2 Likes

Hey @alexeychirkov

This is not the IP of a boundary node. This is caused by your ISP as it injects its own IP address in the DNS response. Try visiting that IP address in your browser.

It looks like that URL or raw.ic0.app made it on some blocklist (e.g., Spamhaus) and that’s the result. I will forward that to the corresponding team.

You should be able to circumvent that by changing your nameserver to, for example, 8.8.8.8 or 1.1.1.1.

2 Likes

Thank you for a quick response.
The host “xdtth-dyaaa-aaaah-qc73q-cai.ic0.app” (without “raw”) is also experiencing issues.

3 Likes

Have you tried replacing ic0.app with icp0.io. Is there also the same issue?

1 Like

Hey @alexeychirkov, thanks for the head ups.

This IP address seems to be the Internet/DNS Guard of Swisscom. We will reach out to Swisscom to appeal the entry. I will keep this thread updated.

Thanks!

4 Likes

Hey @alexeychirkov ,

we got feedback from Swisscom and they removed ic0.app from their denylist.
Could you please verify if it’s now working for you, using your default ISP DNS?

Thanks and have a nice weekend!

1 Like

Hey!
Still does not work (url is https://xdtth-dyaaa-aaaah-qc73q-cai.raw.ic0.app)
But https://xdtth-dyaaa-aaaah-qc73q-cai.raw.icp0.io works

ic0.app - :x:
icp0.io - :white_check_mark:

@rbirkner

Thank you

2 Likes

Hey @alexeychirkov,

it turned out that Swisscom has also blocked this very canister. They have unblocked it. Could you please check if it has actually been removed?

I used their URL Checker website and there the status was set to “unblocked”. In case you face a similar block in the future, you can also appeal the canister using this form.

I really hope it works again now :slight_smile:

Thanks, Jan

1 Like

It works now! Thank you!

1 Like