Is my 5-year dream of ICP and DFINITY shattered? Is there still a future? SNS-1 Decentralization Sale questions

@lei we started a separate thread listing our SNS-1 Lessons Learned. I believe we cover all the findings you list in section 1:

1.1 User repeated deductions

Explained in Repeated ICP transfers.

1.2. Sybil Attack / Front-run Prevention

See Bots participating in the SNS decentralization sale and Use of airdrops. You point to various existing solutions to protect against bots. Indeed, we have also started discussing how we could build on existing community solutions and create a less manual and platform-specific airdrop functionality.

1.3. The Subnet node outage and congestion issues

We reported on the degraded performance of the NNS subnet during the SNS launch in a separate post mortem. This coincided with the SNS subnet got stuck bug explained in the lessons learned post. Of course SNS launches must sustain much more participants than what we have seen with SNS-1. However, I disagree with your TPS argument. If you only consider ledger transactions that were part of the SNS sale then your calculation is correct. However, transactions have a much more general meaning on the IC.

1.4. Lack of Rigorous Testing

You are right, a “public beta”, or maybe “alpha” is a good description of the SNS-1. We should have anticipated some of the limitations we hit before launching. We have identified various test scenarios that we have to run before opening up to further SNS launches.

1.5. Lock-up time

Yes, that was an oversight as explained in Neurons with randomized dissolve delays.

I hope that our explanations and transparent communication reassures the community that we learn from the SNS-1 launch and implement adequate improvements.

12 Likes