Is my 5-year dream of ICP and DFINITY shattered? Is there still a future? SNS-1 Decentralization Sale questions

During the SNS Sale Time, we saw:

5 Likes

You spend 1million on a website? Bro you got cheated man.

On a more serious note… SNS-1 is a test so mistakes made can be forgiven (for me at least). Give IC one last chance to make things right.

I see, so you think @lei meant the SNS subnet, not the NNS. Makes sense, thanks!

4 Likes

This is the voice of community. So, dom, stop talking about the rival blablabla…nobody cares about dfinity, not mention to taking dfinity as rival.

8 Likes

One EXAMPLE:

Something like this just make me more worried about what they focus on right now. If they want to help developers to build wallet apps, shouldn’t they pay more attention to build the infrastructures for wallet app rather than imagine how to develop different DApps? Here DOM even want to bind all wallet apps with Internet Identity. You call this crypto? I can’t disagree more.

8 Likes

You can already register yourself as node provider, see https://wiki.internetcomputer.org/wiki/Node_Provider_Onboarding. Making it easier to become a node provider is being worked on and you can follow the progress here The State and Direction of Decentralization & Nodes on the Internet Computer.

Wrt making blocks publicly available, there is a forum discussion Discussion: public subnets, but there isn’t clear agreement yet on this topic.

5 Likes

Dfinity真的需要好好自我反省,别再让全球的IC家人伤心了

5 Likes

SNS is just one of the many topics that DFINITY works on, and only a small fraction of the resources are spent on this. I see multiple people saying that they wish DFINITY would spent less effort on the application layer and focus more on the protocol layer, so they should be happy to hear that we spend the majority of our efforts on the core protocol.

I think we can reasonably say that the core protocol has made a lot of progress and is improving rapidly. In 2022 we released all of these features in the core protocol (and I’m probably forgetting some):

• HTTP outcalls
  • Bitcoin integration & Threshold ECDSA
  • Canisters can have 32GiB of memory & stable structures to support that
  • allow for installing gzipped canisters
  • deterministic time slicing (allowing for longer running messages)
  • node key rotation
  • allow subnets to hold more replicated state
  • canister timers
  • a performance counter for profiling canisters
22 Likes

I mean community full nodes not consensus nodes.

5 Likes

Ah i see, thanks for clarifying. So that would rely on Discussion: public subnets. I would personally really like to see this move forward as well.

7 Likes

dfinity should really think about it, the community is really tired

1 Like

Further to Manu’s point, I’d really encourage people to read this post. It contains the breakdown of R&D members on different parts (core protocol, NNS/SNS etc). As you can see from that, 43% of R&D is working on core protocol and we have shipped many (complex) features this year as Manu said. So, I’m not sure this criticism was very fair.

3 Likes

More than four months have passed, I was wondering why there is not any update? It seems that the R&D need the community to push up for providing this planned things as always.

Sadly, when our developers submit bugs and requests, they are told that the foundation is working on SNS and that other work may be set to non-urgent. It’s disappointing that SNS-1 gave us this result.

6 Likes

dfinity should really think about it, the community is really tired

2.1. Question about Canister Output Message Queue Limits

2.1 the new async*/await* in Motoko 0.7.4 addresses one half of this (producing fewer self sends with a modest rewrite of code that uses local asynchronous functions).

For Motoko, we are actively working on fixing the other half - allowing the user to recover from queue full errors instead of trapping - but that’s turning out to be trickier than we thought and will take time.

I also know that the replica team have been considering the possibility of raising the queue limits, though this is harder since some back-pressure must be applied.

2.2 Heap out of bounds" error when upgrading canister with Motoko

It’s still not clear what is causing the error. We have a suspicion and suggested a workaround. I have also been thinking about how we could arrange to reduce memory consumption of serialized Blobs and have a solution in mind.

Ideally, we would need a smaller repro for that issue to diagnose the root cause, although I appreciate that might be hard to produce.

2.4. Bug of Trie data structure

This is fixed in Motoko 0.7.4 (Motoko base tag moc-0.7.4). Thanks for reporting and helping us track down the bug. I still think that data structure needs further improvement though.

2.9. Optimizing the motoko-base library

This is valid but we are working on improving the correctness, performance and test coverage and have already pushed tests of some old functionality and tested new improvements. Covering the entire base library will take time.

I agree that base needs more testing (especially of older libraries) and development in some areas and that this should be ideally be prioritized over any other non-critical work.

17 Likes

Then @Manu how to explain this kind of things? I believe @blockpunk is a key developer from the IC community that contribute a lot to the community especially to the Chinese community.

2 Likes

Don’t think a bear market ecological malaise is normal. Listen to the community developers. ic is helping them. They’re not working for ic.

It is true that the official team has developed a lot of basic work, but the result? It has been a year and a half since its launch so far, how many ecological applications are running well or give full play to the advantages of IC?
Yes, you may say Distrikt and Entrepot. As for Distrikt, how many users would like to use it instead of web2 social products? And Entrepot, the NFT standard is terrible for every new users to onboard. Compared with the Ethereum projects, these two projects have no obvious advantages, and their user experience is not much greater than web2 products. Why do users come and play?
Recently, even many projects including hackathon award-winning projects have left IC. I believe they will not make this decision without encountering insurmountable difficulties. As Peter Drucker said, start with the end. If the result is bad, it only means that most of the work is useless or it’s not the point you guys should focus on right now.

5 Likes

The third part is the most important

1 Like