Internet Identity on Linux

I recently installed Fedora 36 on my laptop cause I found myself working 90% of the time using wsl2, which has its own set of issues and decided to make the switch.
Despite having a fingerprint scanner and setting it up in Fedora I can’t use it when logging in with Internet Identity, I’m only give the option to use a security key or scan a QR code with a phone. Am I doing something wrong or isn’t II compatible with Linux systems yet.

1 Like

I am pretty sure you can make it work if you recompile the kernel :slight_smile:
Jokes aside, maybe look for an additional package, keywords: webauthn, biometric authentication, keychain

I did try, but searching “linux webauthn” doesn’t return many results, I also remember reading a while back the only way to use II on Linux was with a ledger or Yubikey, not sure if anything changed since then.

Have you tried this blog? - Webauthn in Linux with a TPM via the HID gadget | James Bottomley's random Pages

I haven’t tried it myself, but skimmed through the text and most of it makes sense, it seems to solve your problem. Obviously you’d need to guarantee physical security & stuff, so take care.

1 Like

Hello,
My experience with webauthn is that not all browsers are on the same level. I use a key not a reader (on Manjaro) and the result is that Brave works best.

Hope that help

You can test your webauthn setup on this page, for instance: https://webauthn.io

My guess is that webauthn with biometrics may not work on Linux, but probably with a Yubikey or similar it would. But that’s really just a guess.

1 Like

I read it but honestly was hoping for a more straightforward solution, it seems absurd such a basic feature is available on all OSs except desktop linux: Does my browser support WebAuthn?.

Well, the beauty of linux is that it’s open source. Most of the software available on linux has been written because someone felt it’s absurd not to have such a basic feature :wink: Be the change you want to see in the world, and all that jazz.

1 Like