How to remove recovery phrase

I’m trying to remove recovery phrase for my friends account as he has a yubico and another recovery source is a negative for security reasons, is it possible to still delete a recovery phrase as I currently only have a reset and lock option

Any help appreciated

Can you please confirm that you have already added the yubi key as a recovery device? And you are now attempting to remove the recovery phrase but you are unable to do so? What error are you receiving when you try to remove it?

1 Like

There is no removal option, only lock and reset and yes i confirm this is what I am trying to do

I’ve flagged the Internet Identity team and will let you know when I hear back from them.

1 Like

Is there any ETA as I am still awaiting a solution

II now considers recovery phrases “more important” than earlier and than other recovery options. thus you have to be careful not to accidentally create a recovery phrase, because you likely cannot remove it later.

Recovery phrases became “more important” than other recovery methods when ic0.app was flagged by Spamhaus. If identity.ic0.app is blocked, and a user has never set up their II on identity.internetcomputer.org, then only a recovery phrase will be useful and their recovery device won’t help them.

Was this ever announced anywhere ? What if I want to sell my ID on the marketplace ? I need to remove the recovery phrase in order to be able to list it for sale.

2 Likes

I don’t recall seeing it discussed but I can check. Regarding selling on a marketplace, you would need to contact the marketplace and see how they handle this.

Just told you : " The technical requirement to transfer the Internet Identity to the IDgeek Smart Contract is to first remove a protected recovery phrase on identity.ic0.app if there is any."

1 Like

I think better methodology needs to be implemented to secure accounts fully via yubico as copying words on our devices is a security risk I believe and this is currently a requirement to make a seedphrase

2 Likes

Thank you for the feedback, I will bring this to the II team and let them know. However, I unless I am incorrect, it is not currently required to create a recovery phrase.

@ZackDS

Thank you @darien but that wasn’t what we are talking about. “The long awaited protected recovery phrase feature is finally ready! This feature allows to protect recovery phrases so that they can only be removed by entering them again.” from July 2022.

The problem with the ic0.app domain being flagged is from February 2023. That is what I was asking if there was an announcement or warning that you won’t be able to remove the “accidentally created” one.
Specially since Dfinity recommended it as an immediate action !without the warning of not being able to remove it later.

Hope this help and makes sense to you now.

Reference:
" 5. Potential Questions

Q: What should be the main take-away for users?

A: All ICP users should (A) set up their II anchor under identity.internetcomputer.org and (B) create recovery phrases for their internet identity anchors, if they do not already have one yet."

from

1 Like

Also what’s the point in even having Yubico recovery if in case of emergency it’s useless ( icp being blocked )