How decentralized is decentralized?

How can my website achieve genuine decentralization? While domains like mine are registered on GoDaddy and domain like ic0.app (.app top-level domains) are managed by Google? how can we ensure true autonomy? With evident censorship in places like Europe and the exclusion of talent-rich regions like Russia, and other countries - it raises questions about the impartiality of a decentralized system. Science and technology serve humanity as a whole; if faced with external threats, wouldn’t collaboration be more effective than division? How do we guarantee that governments can’t pressure platforms like Dfinity to censor content? Given that Google oversees the “.app” domain, is there a risk of interference for ic0.app? I’m delving deep into the nuances of decentralization and would appreciate clarity on these concerns.

3 Likes

Those are very valid concerns, just have a look here: Important Community Update on ic0.app domain being flagged by an anti-spam blocklist

One step towards a possible remedy: Try Out the IC HTTP Proxy: A Leap Towards Decentralized HTTP

4 Likes