Fiat on-ramp integration in the NNS dapp

Welcome to the community Demali!

This is certainly an interesting idea. I’d love to hear what others think of this as well.

The provider is already charging people 2% fee. That would be outrageous.

Coinbase only charge 0.3%.

1 Like

Dear @chepreghy, dear @peterparker,

Currently, the feature “Buy ICP” is available only once authenticated in the NNS.

It would be much better to see this button within the token section even when people are not logged in.

Because, in my opinion, the point is mostly to invite people to join the adventure by purchasing their first ICP, to give Internet Computer a try. But currently, we are presupposing some engagement from the buyer as, right now, only people already taking part to ICP can find this button, but most of us* (if not all of us) will NOT use this button. The idea should be to tell people “give it a try”, rather than “for you who are already familiar with the ecosystem but don’t want to use an exchange, use your credit card”.

In a few words : I think this button must also be thought as a ramp for ICP rather than just a fiat-on-ramp.

By consequence, we could think this button as inviting the newcomers to purchase some ICP by creating an Internet Identity before being finally able to make the acquisition.

*“us” meaning : people already engaged within ICP

4 Likes

Well, thanks @Roman for tagging me but from a product perspective, I’ll let Andrew answer because I don’t have much to do with it and personally, I also voted against this feature.

That said, from a technical perspective, one limitation I can foresee and share is that presenting the “Buy ICP” button to users who are not signed in implies that the dapp cannot show to which address the ICP should be transferred.

2 Likes

You are totally right @peterparker. Thank for your answer. So, we could think something like “Buy ICP” which would immediately invite people to log in or create an account. We just need to think about the best catchphrases.

1 Like

I suppose, you can daisy chain - “Please create an account to buy ICP!”

I like that idea. I would take out the please though. it seems trivial but I feel like an enthusiastic “Create an Account to Buy ICP!” would work. The please sounds a little desperate.

We could also just have the same “Buy ICP” button as now, but if you click it, it would bring you to Internet Identity right away to authenticate.

2 Likes

But we would need to make the becoming buyer understand why they are seeing this redirection toward a creation of an II. WE know what an II is but we need to think as a brand newcomer. So maybe we could add some words to make them understand this redirection.

On the other hand (thinking against myself), when people are trying to buy some stuff on the Web2, they are often used to have to create an account when they click on “buy” ; so maybe they will understand by themselves why they see this.

But on a third hand, “this” won’t be just a “create an account”, but “set up an Internet Identity”… It could make them abandon the process of acquisition, because of the newness of the concept (II).

I don’t know. We need to think about this. Maybe an intermediary disclaimer needs to be added between “Buy” and “Create your II”, as
– “To receive your ICP, you just need to create an account by creating an II”.
– Or “You’ll receive your ICP on the account attached to your II (Click to create my II)”.

We need the simplest and straightest phrase, but also the most intuitive one. We must think for a web 2 user. BUT the buyer needs to think that the creation of an II and the creation of their account are the same thing, to avoid making them think they are starting a multi steps process (and abandon).

Samples :

1. Maybe this : “To receive your ICP, create your account just by creating an Internet Identity”

2. Or maybe better : "To receive your ICP, create your receiving address just by creating an Internet Identity"

It would look like this : Buy ICP > :point_up_2: > Internet Identity creating/authenticating process
But we also need to take in consideration people already having an II, by perfecting the examples above adding somewhere “authenticate yourself”

So :

1. To receive your ICP, create your receiving address just by creating an Internet Identity, or authenticate yourself with your II if you already have one"
    Ultimately : Buy ICP > :point_up_2: > Internet Identity creating/authenticating process
2 Likes

Yes, but it gets a bit more complicated to implement. Ask the front end guys what they would be happy to do. :slight_smile:

1 Like

As a service provider, the first priority is the DEXs (such as iclight, sonic) deployed on the ICP, and the second option is to offer the user a choice from the CEX list. binance global coinbase etc.

The main thing to do here is to ensure that ICP is purchased with fiat money in NNS dap. The natural thing would be to turn to platforms that allow ICP trading with fiat money. If the DEXs located on the ICP allow buying/selling ICP with fiat money, it is best to direct them to the dex platforms on the ICP.