I have been watching the space for some time now and I realise that there is one single big problem leading to poor quality proposal : its fuelled by fear.
People are effraid
About ? Safety/Security/Sustainability
This is a non exhaustive subjectively ordered list of fears:
- Dfinity running out of money
- The protocol being too dependant on Dfinity
- How hackable is the chain ( Malicious NP )
- Competitors will win the race
- How decentralized is the chain
- ICP going to 0$ with VC selling
People are using the new NNS Toy to answer those fears. Writing clumsy/incomplete/short term proposals to try to tackle some possibly non-existent threats. Or even bad intentioned proposal using those fears to make it pass.
- Adding constrains to be a named neuron ( 2 weeks, THIS forum, blabla, fooor what ? )
- Adding contrains to be a NP ( Why would we need this here and not btc ? Are we worse ? )
- Lock VC neurons for 8 years / Unlock VC neurons ( Breaking investors faith )
- Trying to transfer funding value from NNS to pay an external entity. ( here is my IBAN )
- Reduce/Stop ICP inflations/rewards ( Breaking investors faith )
The thing is, Dfinity probably already addressed all those questions and know the answer. If the NNS is supposed to be able to make some critical smart decisions, it would be necessary that we are also synchronised with those informations.
I understand that displaying some informations to the public could have a bad effect, and I also imagine that if it was necessary, we would already be informed about any short term protocol concerns/threats. Yet I tends to imagine a bit more information to reassure people would be useful, for example to prevent some people to use those fears to pass unhealthy/short term proposals.
- The solution Communication *
An official answer from Dfinity to some of the following critical questions would remove or diminishes those fears and also reduce those type of proposals ( while building up investor confidence ! ) :
State the following information :
- How long can Dfinity work at its current working pace, financially ? How long can it work at a reduced pace ?
- How much money would it cost for a Malicious actor to take control of the network using superior NP power ?
- How far is the closest competitors from Dfinity from R&Dev perspective
Disclose the protocol to follow if :
- Dfinity happens to be bankrupt, to let the protocol survive
And the state of the process to :
- Decentralise over time the place of Dfinity from main critical actor to first most knowledgable entity to provide service for the protocol. ( I might be dreaming but imo at some point there should be a numerical representation of Dfinity and its members, and the NNS would be making direct changes from investment direction, recruitment processes, answering legal needs etc… )
Any thoughts ?
Do you think I am crazy to imagine that there should be a protocol ready if something goes wrong ? Should it not be all specified somewhere the same way a president death isnt supposed to make a whole country collapse ?
Do we have a sturdy Maslow pyramid of dependency specified and available, illustrating the protocol needs and mechanism to survive ? If tomorrow keys actors of Dfinity disappear are we gonna make it ? Please note that if this concern is answered, it removes pressure on Dfinity personals.
Thank you for reading.
Lots of kisses