Coding with Kyle - IC Avatar

Hi all, I’ve started a video series for the Dfinity Foundation, working through how to go from nothing to building a full-stack application in Motoko. Episode 1 covers getting started with a development environment, and in the coming weeks, I’ll walk through CRUD functionality, Auth, Upgrades and more. I hope this series becomes a helpful resource!

I’ll post subsequent videos to this thread to prevent things from getting spammy.

18 Likes

Amazing, Kyle! Looking forward to the next episode :slight_smile:

2 Likes

We are always looking for community feedback on all our educational content! Let us know your thoughts in the #tutorial channel of our Discord here: https://discord.gg/cA7y6ezyE2

1 Like

Great, can you cover how to audit canister to make sure the messages are consistent? This functionality is mentioned in the intro but don’t see it in the example code

1 Like

Do you mean like, cryptographically verifying the response of queries? That’s not a trivial concept to break down, and I’d want to defer to some of our experts on it

great first video kyle … thanks I like you are screen-casting.

i would love to see if you could incorporate a sqlite.wasm back-end . …
I got the sql.js interpreter running cloned from github https://sqkrd-6qaaa-aaaah-aaawa-cai.raw.ic0.app/

ps i asked about the possibility on the sqlite/fossil forum. I mentioned Dfinity IC as the platform and the admin deleted my account and deleted my question. I was quite shocked. oh well! been kicked out of nicer places then that. -cheers

1 Like

I’ll be sticking with a Motoko backend for this project, but I could highlight sqlite and @lastmjs 's SudoGraph in future series!

6 Likes

I think I’d watch that

2 Likes

Well, verifying transactions is the basic premise of blockchains right? History being easily verifiable should be part of the core value proposition.
I mostly see documentation around consensus between duplicate canisters, which is something rather different. Looking for auditing on single canister.

Get CRUD-dy with it in IC Avatar Episode 2!

In this episode, I cover Create, Read, Update, and Delete functionality in a Motoko Canister, using a stable data structure.

2 Likes

Episode 3 is out - Nice Errors and return types using Motoko Results

4 Likes

Episode 4:

Episode 5: Adding a frontend

Bonus: Episode 5 - live coding the frontend

2 Likes

I don’t know if this is the right place to ask this, but I’m looking for motoko tutorials on you tube.
I think I need to build Internet Identity(4:38~), but II(idp-service(code . /idp-service(4:38~) ) is not explained in the video. What do I setting II if so?

There’s an example of that in the Livestream, and I have better docs in the readme of https://github.com/krpeacock/auth-client-demo.

I’ll copy those directions over to IC Avatar today

It was my lack of searching. Thank you, anyway. I can’t wait to make an app!

@kpeacock I’m stuck at last step getting below error.

dfx canister call my_app greet everyone
Error: Cannot find canister id. Please issue 'dfx canister create my_app'.

But I’m able to run npm start successfully but getting error as mentioned in my stack over flow question. Please refer link - Stack_Q?

Please help!