Civol — Community Nervous System

This is inspiring. Nice work. Always felt that this was an important missing part to blockchain governance

1 Like

This is really fun. But I feel like you should have put in a link to a video where you delivered this message!

This cuts to the heart of why people engage in politics. Sure, they care about their wallets and about their fellow citizens. Ok.

But they also engage because politics is the best form of entertainment around! Very excited to see where this leads.

2 Likes

Thank you, @Gekctek!

1 Like

Totally agree @dfisher, a comprehensive Loom overview is coming soon. Once the MVP is solid I’ll be able to record it, hopefully this weekend :sweat_smile:!

Love that you agree on the entertainment factor, I do think it will drive Community growth, hopefully a lot, thanks!

1 Like

Looking forward to this :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Hey @civolian. I’m glad to see your project moving forward. I’m looking forward to trying it out with a larger group engaged in the conversation.

4 Likes

Thanks @wpb, me too!

1 Like

Woah! I’m really really happy to see that Civol was still there all this time and working behind the scenes. Looking forward to it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Civol Update

The project is facing three major obstacles at the moment:

1. TestFlight — Apple is experiencing an issue with the app when authenticating with Internet Identity. We cannot reproduce it and have informed them of this. We’re waiting on their reply… Once they accept the app we’ll get a link that will allow iOS users to install it and we can start the Experiment. :muscle:

2. Civol Web — We really wanted to deliver the web version with the MVP but the Civol frontend is Flutter, which means it’s written in Dart and has to have its own agent to facilitate communication with the backend. There is only one such agent and it has a bug preventing us from delivering the Flutter Web version of the app. We’ve been informed that the developer will not be able to fix this bug, so we’re going to have to do it ourselves, which means the MVP and Experiment will be mobile only until we can do that. The good news is, our frontend dev, Awaz, is beyond awesome :ninja:, so it won’t be long till we can offer you a preview.

3. Civol Web Video — Flutter offers mobile and web apps from a single codebase, which is one reason why we chose it. However, we’re having an issue on web with the chunking infrastructure that works perfectly on mobile. So after we fix the bug in the agent we’ll return to this issue. This is why we’ll only be offering a preview of Civol Web at first, the video will take a bit longer to work out.

Bottom line, we can get started with the Experiment as soon as we resolve the issue with Apple, which we expected to happen last week. Thank you for your patience, I think you’ll agree it was worth the wait. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Thanks @seb, can’t wait to see you on Civol!

2 Likes

Just out of curiosity what’s the time line on the CNS being deployed. If this achieves the goal I feel alot of the spam proposals going around might muddy the waters a bit. I know this is only an experiment, however, I am growing personally concerned that the community is going to continue running around with temporary fixes, that make some community members disgruntled, just to then be sent to the CNS which might give them a fatigue feeling, or whip lash in a sense, from being thrown all over.

Is this something we can discuss further?

I would give the Experiment a few weeks once we get started. If successful we’ll start to expand into the full CNS role.

1 Like

Civol Update

Apple has accepted Civol into the Open Beta program (there was a bug, not in Civol, but we were able to help fix it :sweat_smile:), so we can at last proceed!

Our first step will be to bring on the founding panelists so they can record the first xchanges that everyone else will see when they onboard. The initial threads will be as follows, so please dm me if you’d like to contribute to any of them:

• NNS: Participation And Decentralization
  • Does The IC Need A Constitution?
  • Embracing Experimentation
  • The Role Of The Foundation
  • The Role Of The Community
  • The Role Of The NNS
  • Everything SNS
  • All About DAOs
  • Roadmap Governance
  • Architectural Decisions
  • Democracy Models

Thanks to everyone for your patience!

8 Likes

Hi @civolian, do you know of this dart agent? ic_tools | Dart Package
It runs on the Web. No support for ios or android though.

Hi @levi, thanks for this :slightly_smiling_face:, we will take a look and let you know!

An optional new layer right? So you’d always have the ability to submit proposals directly?

I know that doesn’t deal with any potential spam issues, but some people just don’t like taking videos.

2 Likes

There is a civic engagement website called A Starting Point, where US politicians debate and discuss political issues via short form videos. It was founded by Chris Evans and his colleagues, who did the initial interviews of the politician contributors. It’s a simple platform, but it does make it easier to understand and summarize political articles that one probably would’ve just glanced over.

I can only imagine how much better and more powerful Civol discourses will be. :+1:

1 Like

Hi @Gamris, thanks for sharing (very interesting) and kind words, we shall soon see! :sweat_smile:

Hi @borovan, yes optional, you’d always have the capability of submitting proposals directly to NNS.

It’s definitely true though that some people don’t like recording videos, I’m one of them! :blush: However, I do find that the more I do the more comfortable I get with them, and we’ve got some new features coming that should help!

1 Like

Hey @civolian,

Could you provide a bit more details on the Cache canister? Why do you need it and what is it doing?