Canister events

What is the difference between event_schema and event_type?

I think the bigger conversation to have here is if we want to encourage this pattern given the architecture of the IC. There are likely some small use cases where there are no issues, but I think it it likely that most scenarios inevitably run into scalability issues.

The pattern we’ve been playing with at Origyn is to make it so that a publisher doesn’t need to know who is subscribed. Events go to an an anssigned gateway and then are distributed. This greatly increases the simplicity of publishing events for programmers and the gateway can take care of any scalability challenges that arise. This has the advantage of also keeping your service from having to worry about rouge canisters blocking.

We will try to get the repo together for open sourcing. This could have/should have been a day one service for the IC and I think it is a candidate for a system level set of canisters. In the short term it is deployable in a private configuration for anyone that wants to support scalable event delivery.

1 Like