Candid decode error: "type mismatch: type on the wire rec_4, expect type record ..."

In our IC WebSocket JS SDK, we’re trying to make it possible for developers to not care about serialization and deserialization of application messages manually, while at the same enforcing them to implement a strong typing system between their canisters and their clients.
To do so, we require the generated actor in the parameters of the IcWebSocket constructor and extract the developer’s application message type from the ws_message method using this function:

Then, we’re using the obtained IDL type to decode the WebSocket message content coming from the canister:

However, if in the tests everything goes fine (using a custom created actor), when deploying it on the example, it gives some errors

1. the extractApplicationMessageIdlFromActor function throws the error:

Application message type must be optional in the ws_message arguments

which means that the extracted type is not an instance of OptClass, while instead the generated idlFactory has the correct IDL.Opt type.

As a work around to this error, I’ve replaced the instanceof check with:

- if (!(applicationMessageArg instanceof IDL.OptClass)) {
    + if (!applicationMessageArg.name.startsWith("opt")) {

Is it robust enough?

2. after fixing the previous error, the IDL.decode call throws:

Error: type mismatch: type on the wire rec_4, expect type record {text:text; timestamp:nat64}
        at Ba.checkType

(example’s application message type declaration here)

Should we extract the IDL type in a different way? What are we missing?

1 Like

How do you get the IDL type? I suspect both questions are related to a RecClass wrapper in the JS IDL definition. Can you print the console.log of applicationMessageArg and this._applicationMessageIdl?

The whole extraction of the IDL type is done in the extractApplicationMessageIdlFromActor.

• applicationMessageArg (hex): 4449444c016c02ad99e7e70471d6a9bbae0a7801000470696e673851820ceb0a9217
  • this._applicationMessageIdl (couldn’t really copy it from browser Dev Console):

How do you construct the input actor then? If https://github.com/omnia-network/ic-websocket-sdk-js/blob/e2317b52f6a60200e9fbae97b5874f5d3a8140ea/src/idl.ts#L136 works, it means applicationMessageArg instanceof IDL.RecClass is true. You can either check applicationMessageArg["_type"] instanceof IDL.OptClass. String matching on the name is probably good enough as well.

For the second question, on https://github.com/omnia-network/ic-websocket-sdk-js/blob/e2317b52f6a60200e9fbae97b5874f5d3a8140ea/src/idl.ts#L136, can you return applicationMessageArg instead of applicationMessageArg["_type"]?

The input actor is the actor generated by the dfx generate command and imported from the declarations folder. Here’s the generated idlFactory of used by the actor:

export const idlFactory = ({ IDL }) => {
  const ClientPrincipal = IDL.Principal;
  const ClientKey = IDL.Record({
    'client_principal' : ClientPrincipal,
    'client_nonce' : IDL.Nat64,
  });
  const CanisterWsCloseArguments = IDL.Record({ 'client_key' : ClientKey });
  const CanisterWsCloseResult = IDL.Variant({
    'Ok' : IDL.Null,
    'Err' : IDL.Text,
  });
  const CanisterWsGetMessagesArguments = IDL.Record({ 'nonce' : IDL.Nat64 });
  const CanisterOutputMessage = IDL.Record({
    'key' : IDL.Text,
    'content' : IDL.Vec(IDL.Nat8),
    'client_key' : ClientKey,
  });
  const CanisterOutputCertifiedMessages = IDL.Record({
    'messages' : IDL.Vec(CanisterOutputMessage),
    'cert' : IDL.Vec(IDL.Nat8),
    'tree' : IDL.Vec(IDL.Nat8),
  });
  const CanisterWsGetMessagesResult = IDL.Variant({
    'Ok' : CanisterOutputCertifiedMessages,
  });
  const WebsocketMessage = IDL.Record({
    'sequence_num' : IDL.Nat64,
    'content' : IDL.Vec(IDL.Nat8),
    'client_key' : ClientKey,
    'timestamp' : IDL.Nat64,
    'is_service_message' : IDL.Bool,
  });
  const CanisterWsMessageArguments = IDL.Record({ 'msg' : WebsocketMessage });
  const AppMessage = IDL.Record({ 'text' : IDL.Text, 'timestamp' : IDL.Nat64 });
  const CanisterWsMessageResult = IDL.Variant({
  });
  const CanisterWsOpenArguments = IDL.Record({ 'client_nonce' : IDL.Nat64 });
  const CanisterWsOpenResult = IDL.Variant({
  });
  return IDL.Service({
    'ws_close' : IDL.Func(
        [CanisterWsCloseArguments],
        [CanisterWsCloseResult],
        [],
      ),
    'ws_get_messages' : IDL.Func(
        [CanisterWsGetMessagesArguments],
        [CanisterWsGetMessagesResult],
        ['query'],
      ),
    'ws_message' : IDL.Func(
        [CanisterWsMessageArguments, IDL.Opt(AppMessage)],
        [CanisterWsMessageResult],
        [],
      ),
    'ws_open' : IDL.Func([CanisterWsOpenArguments], [CanisterWsOpenResult], []),
  });
};
export const init = ({ IDL }) => { return []; };

Here it is:

Also, I didn’t find a clear way to extract the type of an OptClass except from accessing the protected _type field.

I mean I assume this._applicationMessageIdl comes from extractApplicationMessageIdlFromActor. Can you return applicationMessageArg instead of applicationMessageArg["_type"] in extractApplicationMessageIdlFromActor?

Yes exactly.

Why should I return the Opt type? The encoding and decoding is done using the inner type of the option, because the canister sends the encoded app message through WebSocket, not the option of it (see the code in the example). Anyway, after trying what you suggested, I’m getting the same error:

Error: type mismatch: type on the wire rec_4, expect type opt record {text:text; timestamp:nat64}

Would be good if you can have a minimal repo that I can try locally.

But before that, let’s try changing this line https://github.com/omnia-network/ic-websocket-sdk-js/blob/e2317b52f6a60200e9fbae97b5874f5d3a8140ea/src/ic-websocket.ts#L483 into

const decodedType = Rec();
decodedType.fill(this._applicationMessageIdl);
const decoded = IDL.decode([decodedType], data)[0] as ApplicationMessageType;
1 Like

I’m getting the same error, but with rec_5 instead of rec_4:

Error: type mismatch: type on the wire rec_5, expect type record {text:text; timestamp:nat64}

Other information that could help:

• I’ve also tried to use a variant type as the application message, but I’m getting the exact same mismatch error
    Error: type mismatch: type on the wire rec_4, expect type variant ...

• if I use a plain text type it works smoothly (and I believe it’s the same for all other primitive types).

I think it has somehow to do with the JS compiler that I’m using (Vite+Rollup).

Regarding reproducing it, it’s a bit hard to create a minimal repo since there are many dependencies involved (Rust CDK (which version is still not published), JS SDK (which version is still not published) and the WS Gateway that has to run separately). I’ll see what I can do.

1 Like

Diving into the @dfinity/candid source code, I can’t understand how is it possible that I’m falling in the throw case:

because the following condition is not met:

while the only case in which the t.name getter returns rec_... is exactly in the RecClass:

It seems that the compiler is somehow messing up these class implementations and this breaks the instanceof operator. And it seems that for the same reason, the OptClass condition also fails:

Possibly related: Issue with `instanceof` operator · Issue #3333 · evanw/esbuild · GitHub

I managed to solve the issue! :tada:

Based on this comment, I noticed that I was having multiple node_modules/@dfinity/... folders: one in node_modules/@dfinity/* and the other in src/ic_websocket_example_frontend/node_modules/@dfinity/*. The bundler was importing both of them and that’s why the instanceof operator was failing…
After deleting the second one, it worked!

Also happy that the @dfinity/candid and ic-websocket-js packages didn’t have bugs at the end.

1 Like