Burn address for ICP Apps

In the process of creating the pokedbots game I’ve been thinking of an an idea, where instead of selling in game items for a fee, we burn ICP in exchange for in game items. You want a super powerful mega laser, let’s burn some ICP.

Made me think there could be a standalone app or API all apps can use for people to burn ICP in exchange for something. Unlock a news article first, get into airdrops there are load of ways.

I see it a bit like a tip jar, but it’s a burn jar!

Is there an easy way to accomplish this? I’m thinking the burn address should be a single unique address so we can trust it is actual going to a burn wallet.

The way I see it is its a dual incentive for the purchaser ( assuming they hold ICP ) if they were to buy the item they loose that ICP anyway, why not in the process burn some and potentially reduce the ICP supply.

Again for app owners, yes they need to make profits, but also know they benefit from a reduced ICP supply. So can offer both options, buy or burn.

If I have misunderstand anything about burning let me know. And yes I know we would need to burn loads to have any effect at all.

4 Likes

Transfers to the minting account act as burn transactions
ICP Minting Account Principal : rrkah-fqaaa-aaaaa-aaaaq-cai
Read here

4 Likes

Just to clarify, is that the account that mints all ICP?

3 Likes

Can rrkah-fqaaa-aaaaa-aaaaq-cai also be as a burn address for NFTs?

1 Like

If the minting principle is consistent across various ledgers, it functions accordingly. As of my knowledge, there isn’t an officially adopted standard for NFTs by Dfinity yet. They are currently in the process of working on ICRC-7.

1 Like