Asset canister source code?

I was just helping someone trying to build an interesting app for the Internet Computer, and they would benefit from having a dedicated asset storing and serving canister – and dfx ships with such a canister! But it seems that the code itself isn’t available yet.

Can we expect that canister code to be publicly available soon, or should I advise them to work without it, @roman-kashitsyn?

4 Likes

Hi @nomeata!

The assets canister is in the final stages of the open-sourcing pipeline, it should be open very soon (I hope within a week or so). I’m looking forward to finally making it public. People should be able to see the code that serves their assets.

9 Likes

Related to that, the specification for our simple certified HTTP asset protocol deserves a public home. Maybe include it in the repo, until it has a better one?

In fact, the whole HTTP Gateway feature specification needs a home…

3 Likes

@nomeata does the HTTP Gateway feature specification apply to this PR?

Right, that specification would have to be changed (extended) for that feature. So having the spec in a public place where proposals can be made would be even better :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve just got the final approval and pressed the button.
It’s public now: GitHub - dfinity/certified-assets: A certified assets canister written in Rust. :tada:

10 Likes

is this have motoko code?

is this have motoko code?

The assets canister that ships with DFX is written in Rust.
We designed it to be backward-compatible with the first version of the asset canister that was written in Motoko.

The Motoko version was retired in this PR: https://github.com/dfinity/sdk/pull/1644.

This repo now points me to sdk/src/canisters/frontend/ic-frontend-canister at master · dfinity/sdk · GitHub, which doesn’t have the source code implementation.

Looking at crates.io: Rust Package Registry points me to GitHub - dfinity/cdk-rs: Rust canister development kit for the Internet Computer., and I’m assuming the assets canister is somewhere in https://github.com/dfinity/cdk-rs/tree/main/library/ic-certified-map?

Note that this half-hearted struggle in trying to find the current Asset Canister source code is coming from someone with no experience in Rust other than hello world, but I’m curious since @sea-snake just made some improvements to agent-js, adding an AssetManager to the 0.14.0 release.

@icme i think you might be looking for sdk/src/canisters/frontend/ic-certified-assets at master · dfinity/sdk · GitHub

4 Likes

See it now, thanks :pray:

Yeah, sorry about that - we decided to consolidate recently because it was confusing to find all the packages. We should make sure that we leave some breadcrumb readme’s behind so people know where to go