An Update on Furthering open source contributions to the IC

Hello! Valeriy, Marko, Jude and myself are pleased to give an update on the project for furthering of open source contributions to the IC where we address the issue that even though IC code is open, the code attached to NNS proposals is not visible until after an NNS proposal is voted and executed. As part of that project, you can now see active development of the IC in real time on github.com/dfinity/ic. This is the first phase of our next generation open source initiative.

Included in the source code, we provide documented build instructions for anyone to rebuild ICOS images. In the coming weeks soon anyone will be able to inspect the contents of NNS ICOS upgrade proposals by checking out the commit SHA and reading the git commit history. Furthermore, you’ll be able to follow the documented build instructions to bit-for-bit reproduce the ICOS images and that they match the NNS proposal.

The build reproducibility may be unstable as we continue to develop our infrastructure. So we kindly ask that you bear with us as we iron out the bumps in the road.

11 Likes

This is super exciting.

1 Like

I wanted to follow up on this.

The last replica binary that was blessed was on 12/11/21.

I tried looking up the commit using the hash in the NNS proposal title (75138bbf11e201aac47266f07bee289dc18a082b), but I couldn’t find a matching commit in the IC repo.

When will we in the community be able to inspect the source code of these “Bless Replica Version” NNS proposals?

Random nits:

• It’d be great if we could also add the human-readable replica version (in this example, that’s rc–2021-12-06_18-31) to the proposal.
  • It’d be great if we could create a tag on Github for the replica version once the proposal passes. Right now, we can see feature branches called, e.g. rc–2021-12-06_18-31, but I can’t see the commit where that branch gets merged to master.

Tagging @diegop for visibility. See this for more context.

1 Like

Github search may be too stupid to find git commits, but here is the commit:

And github shows it’s on branch rc--2021-12-06_18-31

1 Like

thanks. This helps. Beside @nomeata 's comment, i will also ping @ali.piccioni

1 Like

Interesting, so it’s the commit on the branch, not on master.

It’d also probably be nice to get some visibility on what these branches are. Are they just release branches that periodically branch off of master? I’m guessing rc stands for release candidate.

Ideally, we can reach a stage where motion proposals initiated by community members can also be implemented and deployed by community members.