Way forward on spam - Proposal for tactical fix

Following DFINITY foundation is a good choice. They have not intentionally abstained from a vote in over 2 months and there are no current indications that they feel the need to abstain moving forward. Make sure you have configured a Followee for both Governance topics and All Topics Except Governance.

1. Dead Neuron
  2. Follower Neuron
  3. Active Neuron
  4. Spam Neuron

Dead Neuron

The NNS has been updated to unfollow, following, neurons every 6 months.

Followers must reaffirm their following options at the end of this period else they will not receive any rewards.

This will remove dead Neurons from receiving rewards but concerns are that inactive users that are not aware of this change could result in a class action.

As neurons do not have any personal details there should be a campaign on coin retailers websites that purchasers of ICP tokens should be aware of changes to neuron holders rewards and they should login for important updates or lose reward entitlements.

Follower Neuron

The NNS should inform and remind neuron owners on login that they will have to re-follow every 6 months, else receive no rewards at all. That it is their responsibility as they cannot be contacted due to the nature of a neuron.

Active Neuron

Those who are active in voting should be able to follow and receive extra rewards for active voting twice on the same proposals.

Spam Neuron

Neurons that have an ID number below a threshold are team proposals and therefore trusted but neurons above that threshold are private and if rejected are automatically disabled from further proposal for a period of time but retain rewards that are then distributed to the community.

Most neuron ID’s are under 100

Future same spam neuron ID’s rejected proposals could have an increased disable period.

Also spam neuron proposals should be staked for a minimum given period.

Considering DFIINITY’s insanely high voting weight, that makes the entire proposal a farce for DFINITY to decide the outcome.

Thanks for confirming it’s a waste of time to vote on this proposal.

1 Like

Rather than rolling back extra weightage for governance votes, would it not be better to roll back the requirement for stakers to reconfirm followees? All passive stakers follow Dfinity, and now Dfinity is voting on governance because rewards are too lucrative to miss. So, the simplest solution to spam is to undo the 6 month reconfirmation requirement so that all followees will get rewards irrespective of whether they reconfirmed or not.
@bjoernek

Hi, just wanna ask (sorry if it’s mentioned already somewhere above, but this got too large to read all) - does it mean that the proposal 55651 won’t be implemented (although doesn’t seem to be too excessive for engineering effort)?

For me in general:

1. I don’t like rollbacks (mainly when accepted way forward seems doable)
  2. I agree with extra rewards for active users (in the past I used to suggest even extra rewards for manual voting)

Are you sure? I didn’t vote on one of these and the option to vote no longer appears on the NNS app. Does that mean I don’t get any rewards?

Yea cuz the vote period time ran out you gotta get your vote in before.

That hasn’t been implemented yet

Btw if the ratio goes back to 1:1 wouldn’t it still be economically viable for people to crowd fund the posting of 40 spam proposals each day vs just 2 to make up for the change??

Apologies, I didn’t know that. If it hasn’t been implemented how come some people aren’t getting rewards and others getting extra? After all, Dfinity votes each time, so its followers should all be getting rewards for spam proposals, right?

The time didn’t run out, the proposal closed when it hit 50% and my neuron didn’t vote. The UI didn’t give me the option of voting once it had been rejected.

Thanks wpb for the reply. I already made the configuration as you said. Cheers.

1 Like

Yes, I’m positive. If you can’t vote on a proposal it’s because the Voting Period ran out. There have already been some that were Rejected by Absolute Majority and the Voting Period has ended, but also some that are still open for voting. All Governance proposals can be voted for 4 days minimum even if they are Executed or Rejected by Absolute Majority.

Oh weird. Let me test this again, would be nice to not miss out on rewards.

It could be a UI issue… or most probably PEBKAC.

There is no longer default following for the Governance topic. Default following of DFINITY does still exist for All Topics Except Governance. Hence, people who have not configured a Followee for the Governance topic are not getting voting rewards even though DFINITY is voting for Governance proposals. People could choose to set DFINITY as their Followee for the Governance topic and then they would be getting voting rewards when DFINITY votes, but they have to take action to set up that configuration.

I would check the filters you have set for the Voting tab. Perhaps you are filtering out the proposals that are Executed or Rejected instead of showing all proposals that are still open for voting.

Confirmation of Followee selection every 6 months has not been implemented yet. That was a motion proposal that passed, but there was no code attached. DFINITY would need to develop the code and then submit another proposal with code attached in order for the feature to go live. This is not high on their priority list (roadmap) yet.

The UI only gives the option is the proposal is open and if there are neurons that can vote (code here). It means that it should be improved by not considering the status but rather the duration of the proposal - i.e. the UI should allow vote regardless if proposal is declined or accepted as long as the duration is valid (cc @Manu). I just opened a task, we check it begin of next week.

2 Likes

Awesome, thought something was up. Thanks for taking care of it

2 Likes

Ok, so then that is what is preventing people from getting rewards. Maybe we should just roll that change back, since the aim is to ensure everyone gets rewarded as before, which will remove the rationale for spamming the NNS.
Although, maybe that’s not technically feasible. Thanks for clarifying, @Zane , @wpb

1 Like