Voting is open for /two/ new IC OS releases

Folks, we are so happy to announce — after a week of satisfying work — that we have not one, but two IC OS releases being proposed, both of them to make the IC move forward and be even more amazing than it was last week.

Here are the release notes for the regular release tagged release-2023-09-13_23-01 with commit ID da97e4757dc3746fe513e233ffcf22547948e911:

• [0a3c17d61] Consensus: feat(backup): only backup notarizations of finalized chain
  • [226a4711f] Consensus: feat(consensus): Allow P2P to delete unvalidated artifacts
  • [b61c0bede] Crypto: chore(crypto): Explicitly create tokio runtime for crypto csp vault
  • [348552280] Crypto: feat(crypto): Add crypto utilities for PocketIC
  • [e4652a867] Crypto: feat(crypto): Add socket for retrieving metrics from crypto csp vault
  • [5b135bff1] Execution: feat: Allow replica to receive CanisterInstallModeV2 to use skip_upgrade functionality
  • [4684df8fb] Networking: chore: Do not panic in an empty list is passed as allowed clients when TLS handshakes are performed.
  • [9e979a20d] Networking: chore: delete dead p2p code
  • [0dd3fe15b] Networking: chore: remove unused witness field
  • [f6d7c4893] Networking: chore: update bytes and tokio metrics crates
  • [224b3dfb3] Networking: feat(artifact_manager): Propagate purged artifact to advert sender
  • [23df5d00a] Networking: feat(quic_transport): export connection id
  • [0130bdbc8] Networking: feat: Add replica signatures to Query responses
  • [c7d5c5072] Networking: feat: Create skeleton for new consensus manager
  • [8fddd6466] Networking: feat: Implement send side of consensus P2P
  • [da97e4757] Networking: fix(quic_transport): only set udp buffer size on linux
  • [db7bcd619] Networking: fix(state_sync_manager): Move available state into spawn_blocking
  • [26098e18d] Networking: fix: fix the two broken protobuf gen scripts
  • [7b1cedeff] Networking: perf bitcoin adapter get_successors optimisation
  • [a0c108394] Networking: upgrade tokio to the 1.32.x LTS release
  • [c74ce7317] Node: Use generic upload proxy URL
  • [33d4b68c9] Node: fix: Use podman to export the IC-OS filesystems.
  • [183369ac1] Runtime: Add a metric for total reserved balances
  • [909a0ba40] Runtime: Add a reserved balance limit field to canister state
  • [172e3f581] Runtime: Add the reserved balance limit to the canister settings
  • [31fd7396a] Runtime: Add the reserved balance to canister status result
  • [c2adb4af4] Runtime: Implement reservation mechanism in Wasm execution
  • [9fa88aa1d] Runtime: Query Stats: deliver batch
  • [89916d9a2] Runtime: Remove Wasm chunk store file
  • [90be6aad0] Runtime: Scale resource saturation based on the number of execution threads
  • [d86df0fc8] Runtime: Use the reserved balance limit
  • [c04368f5f] Runtime: chore: Upgrade wasmtime to 9.0.4
  • Various tech-debt management: code refactoring, docs, bug fixes, test updates

In addition to that, we have a bonus release that, thanks to the tireless work of @Tim, enables superior support for QUIC – the next level of resilient networking for the IC. The release is tagged release-2023-09-13_23-01+quic and has commit ID d87954601e4b22972899e9957e800406a0a6b929. It carries a single, conservative change:

• [04d06e58] Networking: feat(IC-1437): Enable QUIC state sync

Get your votes in, so that the IC gets the improvements as fast as possible.

5 Likes

I love your enthusiasm on this one @dmanu. I look forward to taking a closer look at the proposals and seeing what other reviewers have to say.

2 Likes

I would love to hear how you guys decide to put what commits in what release or how that is handled.
I have seen a few times where pairs of updates come out instead of just one.
Mostly just curiosity

2 Likes

My thought was this is a side effect of human resource compartmentalization. With multiple teams working on different areas its possible the releases are done by teams and commits to releases are done by team members within said teams. That said you have me curious now on how this actually is done.

2 Likes

Reviewers for the CodeGov project have completed our review of these replica updates.

Proposal ID: 124537
Vote: ADOPT
Full report: CodeGov portal on DSCVR

Proposal ID: 124538
Vote: ADOPT
Full report: CodeGov portal on DSCVR

Neuron: CodeGov.org
Voting history: Dashboard

At the time of this comment on the forum there are still 2 days left in the voting period, which means there is still plenty of time for others to review the proposal and vote independently.

We had several very good reviews of the Release Notes on these proposals by @Zane, @cyberowl, @ZackDS, and @massimoalbarello. The IC-OS Verification was also performed by @Gekctek, @ilbert, and @tiago89. I recommend folks talk a look and see the excellent work that was performed on these reviews by the entire CodeGov team.

5 Likes

@dmanu would you please ask the teams who worked on these proposals to take a look at the comments by @cyberowl on proposal 124537 and 124538 and by @massimoalbarello on proposal 124537? The each had comments that the change owners might want to know. I don’t think any of their comments requires a response, but perhaps there are minor improvement opportunities. Thanks for taking a look.

1 Like

Will inquire. Thanks!