Upcoming proposal and discussion on content moderation

I disagree with any censorship. This is a relatively easy case to fight against . What happens with a nation state wants to take down a dissenters site .

Let the firms with issues go to the source who posted the material .

As has been said many times in this thread, your utopian vision of “no content moderation” is impossible. The world’s governments will outlaw the entire ICP network. The network will have 0 users. We will all continue using Amazon Web Services. End of story.

Node operators need to be able to stop hosting content that is illegal in their jurisdiction. There is no alternative. You are talking as if governments cannot exert any power over network participants.

6 Likes

Well they can’t against BTC or ETH.

That’s a silly comment. Of course they can. The world’s governments could make it illegal to hold BTC or ETH, and to run nodes, at a moment’s notice. They simply haven’t done so as of now. Don’t mistake a failure to legislate for the inability to legislate.

If governments enacted such a ban, the BTC and ETH networks would lose most of their users overnight, and most cryptocurrency exchanges would shut down. Most humans aren’t trying to start a revolution.

4 Likes

Can storage subnets that are working the way you just described (every node only holds some piece of a file) solve this? You build your logic in an application subnet and store your data in a storage subnet. Performance wouldn’t be great if you really intend on working on the data, but for static assets it could be a solution, right?

Maybe. But they would have to run a very different protocol from what subnets run now. Currently subnets (the gossip layer; consensus protocol; deterministic state machine; and so on and so forth) are explicitly designed to ensure that all replicas have fully identical states.

What you are proposing is essentially integrating the IC with IPFS. Which may turn out to be a more straightforward way of going at it. Not saying that implementing something similar to IPFS that’s more closely integrated with the IC is impossible, just that it would be a lot of work. And likely not very high priority.

1 Like

Considering there are ways to obfuscate, wouldn’t the easiest way be just to go after the domain-registrant?
Since everything rn goes through a single domain?
Don’t know who owns ic0.app. Dfinity or ICA?

Maybe I misunderstood something here, please someone explain.

IMO I disagree with the entire notion that the community should be responsible for this. I propose that the original IC founders legal council could propose a document on the official position and process on dealing with ip theft, piracy and other illegal activity on the network that could go to vote. The language could be improved and we could try again until it passes. If this is continuously voted down by the foundations large power and concerned investors, at least the position in this issue is clear before others yolo join the 8 year gang.

Asking the community to come up with the perfect legal language along with associated processes for this is not our expertise and should not be the communities responsibility. We all come from different countries with different rules and have different backgrounds, and so our convo’s just keep going in a loop, as there is no perfect solution. The original position, legal language and process to deal with inevitable problems needs to come from the responsible founders to protect themselves and the network, just like IPFS has done (https://ipfs.io/legal). Then the community will figure out how to make the solution as open and tolerable as possible.

If this does not happen, then it seems to me like they are planning blame to us as investors down the road when something goes wrong, which is not acceptable. Each one if us deserves to know what we are investing our time/money in, if we are unknowingly indirectly supporting such activity, and if we will be down the road after we have already built our castles in the sandbox.

Happy holidays everyone :christmas_tree:

4 Likes

The Foundation and its representatives are the ones who have:

1. Built the protocol and network stack while making several explicit claims about objectives regarding censorship resistance (in ways that will likely be proven to be bald-faced lies within the next few years, regarding a few specific things Dominic has said).

2. Taken on the position of implementing the directives agreed upon by the community.

– I ask “what the Foundation will do” because I have the viewpoint that when push comes to shove, there’s a good chance the Foundation will just go rogue and do what the Foundation wants to do if a vote comes in that the Foundation doesn’t like.

Regarding this idea of “technical + legal reasons, not because of any grand scheme” – that’s all taken care of, where things are headed governments will end up deciding how to position the ICP now and dictate whichever schemes you shall follow.

1 Like

Manu’s idea about a market for node providers to bid on which canisters to host would be moderation via the market.

I’ll say it again, though, and I understand this isn’t really an area that you’re responsible for/you might not even be aware of it – one of the more striking things regarding this whole deal is that Dominic has been running around presenting the IC in a very very very different light with regards to censorship resistance than a lot of the sentiment (and proposed actions/policies) that I’ve seen coming out of the Foundation.

4 Likes

@MisterSignal I expect the foundation to be evaluating these ideas, I wouldn’t say they’ve shown dishonesty so far despite many members of the foundation having what I would call a confused vision for the platform, and Dom’s character is just an enigma to me. However I’m not sure that the sense of urgency that this issue should prompt is there and it should become evident what their priorities are soon enough, I’m not sure how this would go forward either but I agree with expecting the foundation to have some sort of initiative, the community alone can’t have much of an initiative here other than discussing ideas in the forums since what seems to be the most sensible path forward involves some changes that only the foundation has the power to effect at this early stage and it probably requires some technical thinking on their side to see how to implement these ideas.

Two quick things:

1 - I would say one of the main issues is that, aside from the confusion these statements cause, they can be very well be interpreted as dishonesty by various parties. I mean, you just can’t have the CEO of the Foundation out there saying things like “UniSwap just had to delist a bunch of tokens…that would never happen on the IC!”, while at the same time people in the Foundation are saying that it’s very possible for UniSwap to be censored on the IC if various tokens on the DEX get declared as illegal securities, etc…

There’s a reason that many executives in publically traded companies don’t play so fast and loose with their words.

2 - The reason I do classify some of these things as dishonest is because I have seen at least one instance of where Dominic was on a very public, in-person interview panel and he was asked about the problem of objectionable content on the IC and the plans to deal with it, and he deliberately avoided the question and became very uncomfortable even addressing the issue.

This was several years ago.

Then, @alexa.smith comes on here and presents the issue as a “new question” – I have first-hand knowledge from speaking with a team member several months before this Nintendo thing that the Foundation has been putting resources into how to handle these problems for quite some time now.

– It’s the doublespeak and outdated PR tactics that piss me off, because DFINITY is so experienced and talented with such deep domain expertise in so many technical aspects that I don’t think they need to actually do that kind of stuff. Leave that to inferior projects.

7 Likes

Have there been any developments in this area after collecting feedback from community? What’s the status and plans for the future?

I’m asking because I view the issue as central to the growth and health of IC.

There’s no easy solution and a lot of conflicting ideas put forward.

3 Likes

Recent developments:

https://tpku2-kiaaa-aaaai-abala-cai.raw.ic0.app/

Back to where we started… But now, we already have some ideas and we all had time to think about possible solutions/outcomes.

What should we do? Start a fresh section?

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

That’s pretty funny.

4 Likes

Why deal with one takedown notice when you can collect them all. :joy:

4 Likes

I don’t understand how to solve the issue of language barriers unless everyone decides to learn some more languages. Language is always going to exclude participation, this problem is not unique to the Internet Computer. Even if a chinese forum were started, it would still require lots of translation for the team members to be involved.