Threshold ECDSA Signatures

Hmm, nobody bit this bait, so maybe I should make it clearer:

With canisters performing ECDSA signatures, it will be possible for canisters to control neurons (with a little help to submit ingress messages signed by the canister), and thus make neurons transferable. I assume this is not a new observation to @dieter.sommer and the rest of the team, but I am curious what the consequences are. I can see four possible consequences; is is clear which way we are heading?

1. The system somehow tries to recognize canister-owned ECDSA keys and will not allow them in ingress messages, to plug this hole.
  2. Accept that canisters can own neurons this way, but not do anything about. If people really want canister-own or transferable neurons, they’ll have to jump through these hoops.
  3. Remove the restriction that neuron owners can’t be canisters, because it can be worked around anyways, canisters can already own ICP, and it opens up interesting applications like autonomous neurons.
  4. Additionally, simply make neurons transferable, given that they can be transferred using this feature.
5 Likes