The DFINITY Canister Smart Contract SDK, DFX, Is Now Open Source!

6 Likes

Enjoy… but most of all, fork away, play with it. And be kind as you find imperfect code written by mere mortals.

1 Like

This is great!

Can I use this also to develop canisters that are either not smart, or not contracts? (SCNR)

2 Likes

lol, I notice there are some changes in motoko-base library, which change canister to canister smart contracts :rofl:

Maybe Dfinityer really likes smart contracts

You’ll find such changes in all repositories. Seems to be a systematic effort. I wonder if they’ll remove the ability to upgrade canisters by the controller, because something that can unilaterally be changed is certainly nothing like a contract. Although, I guess I have recently seen a certain contractual counterparty of mine try to unilaterally reinterpret the terms, so maybe it’s more appropriate for DFINITY to think of canisters as contracts. (End of unrelated rant.)

I can’t believe that the controller function would be removed. If developers don’t want this flexibility, they can set the controller as a black hole address or DAO contract.

Don’t they know how many weird methods are used on Ethereum to ensure the upgradeability of smart contracts?

Reminds me of an ancient legend a long time ago, CODE IS LAW.

I wasn’t serious, of course.